Coming in from the other side

I bit the bullet--with my ancient Fujitsu tablet noebook dying I've invested in a 13" MBP with 8gig of ram and a 750 gig HD. It will be here next week.

I do have several scientific (and other) programs that are windows-only and so I will need to dual-boot the MBP. What advice can you give me re: Parallels, Fusion, Bootcamp, or other similar solutions to running Windows (I'll use Win 7, 64 bit).

For the record, it was my kids :Love: who first got me into an iPhone and :smile: now into a Mac---got to love 'em for keeping me upgraded!

Thanks.

Nick, I'm pretty happy with VMWare Fusion. It runs as an application (virtual machine) under Mac OSX, so you can run Windows and Mac applications at the same time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple. I have used both fusion and parallels and found fusion to be more of a memory hog then parallels but other then that they both do the same thing quite well. Bootcamp is an option but frankly I prefer booting up my windows VM inside Mac OSX whenever I need it rather then having to reboot and reboot etc.

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
I bit the bullet--with my ancient Fujitsu tablet noebook dying I've invested in a 13" MBP with 8gig of ram and a 750 gig HD. It will be here next week.

I do have several scientific (and other) programs that are windows-only and so I will need to dual-boot the MBP. What advice can you give me re: Parallels, Fusion, Bootcamp, or other similar solutions to running Windows (I'll use Win 7, 64 bit).

For the record, it was my kids :Love: who first got me into an iPhone and :smile: now into a Mac---got to love 'em for keeping me upgraded!

Thanks.

Unless you need to live-transfer you scientific data (files) to the Mac side I would HIGHLY recommend going with Bootcamp and running your Win programs in a 'native' OS environment. I've done the virtualization route and have come around to really liking the simplicity and reliability of running Windows in a native environment.

congrats with your new computer
JohnG

Unless you need to live-transfer you scientific data (files) to the Mac side I would HIGHLY recommend going with Bootcamp and running your Win programs in a 'native' OS environment. I've done the virtualization route and have come around to really liking the simplicity and reliability of running Windows in a native environment.

congrats with your new computer
JohnG

John, so the non-bootcamp alternatives are complex and less reliable? Most of my live transfer needs would be cut/paste and otherwise exporting output and charts into Word. My photo processing will be unchanged since I use a 100% NX2 workflow (though I may have to include FastStone Viewer to the windows side!).!

What is a good EXIF reader for Mac--I don't believe PhotoME is for Macs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom