1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Coming My Way...105 f1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by stealthman_1, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Not the most common piece of glass out there with seemingly mixed reviews ranging from wonderful to not up to the 105 f2.5. Thoughts?

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Tim: Iv got a 105 1.8 AIS coming from a cafe member as well.( thanks Scott) Thoughts.. OO. I bought one of these for a ex-girl friend who was interested in fashion many moons ago. She wanted to be in front and behind the lens. She was very pretty and had a hell of an eye. Shoot to kill Suzy:)  When we broke up, Im not sure who I missed more, the Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS or the girl:tongue:. No thats not true. She was really great. But the lens was better:biggrin:. I just find the 85 1.4 AIS a little short on the FX/film for heads. And the 135 I bought from keh in ugly condition has fungus. They warned me that it might be ugly:eek: . And the 80-200 ED AIS has about 8 foot minimum focus and about 6 pounds. I tried using my 105 micro for heads and it is killer sharp but its only F4 . To do indoor availible light captures I really need a Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS. Got to love the for sale section of the cafe:cool:  I already found a nikon hood to screw on that will work better than the stubby one that is built in. And I already have a 63 mm polarizer. Im very excited about shooting with the 105.1.8 . It is the lens for heads. I think this focal length and lens is going to be very sweet on the D3. Oh ya I know for a fact that the Nikkor 105 1.8 is every bit as good if not better than the 105 2.5 at 2.5-8. Of course at 1.8 there is no contest

Gregory

3. Well what are the odds of that???:biggrin: Looks like the film forum will get some more goodies! Your opinion on the lens is good to hear, it was a difficult decision for me. I already have a 105 f2.8 VR Macro, but unfortunately it won't work on half of my cameras being a G lens...I placed very high consideration on purchasing a 105 f2 DC, its reputation is indisputable, but it appears to have a focus ring more similar to the 85 f1.4 than the 135 f2.0 which is unacceptable to me for a primarily MF lens. It is the one thing I find severely lacking on the 85 f1.4. Obviously the 105 f2.5 is a bargain compared to the other choices, but I didn't feel like I was getting anything other than a place holder in the MF lineup.
    Can't wait to see your work with it.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I checked out some of your photo's. Tim your an awsome photographer. The B+W tree pictures are amazing. Im sure you will make some excellent captures with your Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS . The previous owner of mine told me the focus on mine is silky smooth :biggrin:. And my new lens is a very good sample. Before he even sold it to me he was saying that he was going to regret selling it. Poor *******:tongue:.
    Just to get you a little more excited about shooting with the 105 1.8 AIS. Twenty years ago at the Calgary Stampede I met a National Geographic staff photgrapher George F Molbly. (sp) . And he was in the pit shooting the rodeo with the local shooters. Anyways , after the event we went out for dinner at a local steak house and the only camera he brought was a F3 and with a nikkor 105 1.8 AIS. Even though it was dusk as we walked to the resturant, he was shooting kodachrome 64 wide open at 1/30 sec for street candids. Check out some back issues of NG to see some of George's work. I beleive he was a staffer for about a hundred years. A really nice guy. later

Gregory

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    I like the 105/1.8 probably more than any other lens. The f/2.5 is regarded very highly as a portrait lens, but the f/1.8 delivers gorgeous boke and very pleasing images.

Nikkor AIS 105/1.8 wide open a couple of weeks ago:

2714851122_ebe7dfcaf2_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Peter, I have said it before, and I say it again:

This pic is amazing - hope you will hang it up on your wall - in large, if possibly.

7. Nikkor AIS...Thanks, that's very kind. Those two photos get very mixed reactions.

Pforsell...good to hear, I can't wait! Very beautiful image!

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Tim: My Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS is shipping tommorow:biggrin:. Im going to start posting next week so lets make a killer 105 1.8 thread on the nikon cafe.:smile:. Im going to start by documenting some of the head at work.
    Good luck with you Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS.:smile:

gregory

9. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I think both the 105/1.8 and 105/2.5 deliver excellent bokeh, but the 105/2.5P Sonnar is even creamier.

10. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Cotdt: You want to get into it with two nikkor fanatics about a lens neither of them even have yet. :tongue:. Are you nuts:biggrin:.
    All in good fun. I will up your 105 2.5 sonnar and raise you a 1936 olylimpic 180 2,8 Sonnar. How is that for one up man:redface:ship. Mine is getting a new mount right now but is still has the nicest Bokeh Iv ever seen.

gregory

11. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    :eek: 

12. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Are you okay? :smile: Its a beast of lens. It must weight 5 pounds and has a tripod mount that makes my tripod mount for the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AIS look wimpy:eek: . The aperture must have thirty blades and of course gets darker as you stop down. I did some test when i got my D3 with gaffer tape holding the lens on:eek: . Its not even coated but still amazed me. At one point I shot a friends wedding with this lens and it produced some really nice Images. Of course I never made a dime off the wedding:redface: Iv heard that the Nikkor 180 2.8 was based on this design.

Gregory

13. Mine should ship tomorrow as well, but its ground so it may not be here till next friday. My NAS kicked in big time the last two weeks...hopefully it subsides.:redface:

14. Wow, you have sample of that olympic?

15. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i have an older manual version of the 1.8 105 nikkor.its a great lens,however my 105 micro nikkor is a better lens.i thought the 1.8 105 would be better with 9 blade aperture vs 7 on the micro/makro.the newer optic coatings may have alot to do with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.