Coming over from the dark-side

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Mar 24, 2007.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I’ll be entering the twelve step program this coming Wednesday when my new MacBook Pro arrives. I’ll probably have PC withdrawals for awhile since I’ve been using a PC since CPM died. I may need some hand-holding to cope.:rolleyes:

2. The only reason you will enter that program (as a longtime windows user who recently switched) is because of the celebrating you'll do after you start using it.

Although it is possible that you could become depressed once you realize how long you waited to make the switch! Life is so short.

3. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

From all I've heard the biggest problem for some is how easy the Mac is to use in comparison. You look for the usual Windows problems or whatever, and they are just not there. Another person told me it was like switching from intellectual to intuitive - left brain to right brain. FWIW I have rarely had to use a programs manual with the Mac. But that's me.

Congratulations. You'll probably thank your lucky stars shortly. And ask us here or join a Mac forum if you need pointers and help.

4. Congratulations!

:smile: I made the big switch about a year and a half ago and I'm very happy that I did! I think you'll be very happy with your new MBP! I started out with a G5 iMac and fell in love immediately with the Mac OS. A few weeks later I bought a Powerbook because I realized that if I no longer wanted to mess with Windows at home, I sure as heck wouldn't want to on a trip, so replaced my old laptop with a PB. Eventually I made the leap to intel-based Macs with the MBP. Beautiful machine, works wonderfully and looks so elegant to boot! :smile:

A couple of good Mac user websites:

http://www.macrumors.com

http://www.macosg.com

Lots of us here, too, with varying levels of expertise and experience with the Mac....

5. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I think you'll be surprised how little you miss Windows. It's a spiritual awakening.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Mac user for about 5 months now. Only regret is not switching years ago!

7. Today I had a problem with my 10 month old G5 quad and dual 23" monitors.

Only one monitor would work, the other was completely dead.
    Figured out it was the power supply adapter.
    Called Apple Care on a Sunday.
    I'll have the replacement part this week.

Can't complain, they answered the phone immediatly on a Sunday and took care of it under warranty.

I bought a 17" MBP in Feb., you're going to love it.

Greg

8. New podcast over at ilifezone.com all devoted to new switchers! Pretty basic but nice to listen to for a newbie! Part 2 of the switchers series is coming shortly.

9. Apple has a site for people switching from Windows.

Switch 101

10. The thing which struck me right off the bat when I was first switching was how intuitive everything is on the Mac. I'd thought there would be a huge learning curve and was quite surprised to find that there really was not. Only a couple of times did I even have to look up something in the books I'd bought. I don't miss Windows at all!

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Actually,I think the issue is more about UNlearning Windows than learning Mac OSX.

12. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I'll second that.

13. yep, stuff is so simple on a Mac. I am still UN-learning my Windows habits.

14. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thank you all for the warm welcome to MacWorld, I feel better already. Maybe I’ll only need a day or two of rehab instead of the full twelve steps.

15. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    My MBP came early

I was expecting my new MacBook Pro Thursday but it came about an hour ago.... I'm using it right now. So far so good. next step is software. i'll have lots of quetions....

16. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

Actually the Mac is a bit like CP/M. UNIX was long established and well known to the authors of CP/M. CP/M used a very UNIX-like but stripped down command shell. The people who did DOS copied CP/M and Windows was forced to remain compatible even to this date. With Mac OSX you've come full circle. Mac OS X is not a copy. it's the real deal.