Coming soon to a table near you....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

A friend and I went out looking for Blue Birds this morning at the Pennypack Trust, a fairly large park just outside of Philly - and found a few whose pictures I'll post later. But first we spent some time with a bunch of semi-tame Wild Turkeys. I can't believe we eat something that ugly! But in a strange way they are photogenic.

These images were taken in bright early morning sun, still low in the sky and right in line with me and the birds. Their iridescence was very obvious just looking at them, but what came out of the camera was very much brighter. These images have had the usual sharpening and a little tweaking of levels and curves that made for more attractive images but didn't increase the level of iridescence. Anybody have any ideas what happened here? Are digital camera sensors more sensitive than our eyes to this kind of light?

The last photo shows how brave my friend was when chased by an out-of-control turkeys. :biggrin:

View attachment 19734

View attachment 19735

View attachment 19736

View attachment 19737

And finally my brave friend. :biggrin:

View attachment 19738

2. Not sure, but #4 is a killer shot! Boy those guys weren't at all spooky --In KY you're lucky to see them and if you do its usually from 200+ yds.

Thanks for sharing!

Paul

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Paul -

#4 is my favorite also. You're talking about really wild turkeys in KY. These guys are in a 400-500 acre park not far from Philly, are used to lots of people being around, and in fact get POed if you don't have some popcorn for them. But if you don't, they can turn real nasty.

Gordon

4. Great shots. I'd agree #4 is a Killer.

5. Good stuff Gordan. Definately out of the ordinary when it comes to Turkeys.
    Dave

6. Four gets my vote also. Great shots.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Gordon. The iridescence is really cool. I will have to say that these guys are a lot uglier up close than I ever imagined. :rolleyes:

8. Kat

Kat

Mar 27, 2005
    Kentucky
    Gordon,

Great shots of a really ugly bird! I have to agree with the others, #4 is a killer shot. I truly did "LOL"!!

Kat