Coming to D300 from D2X - color mode test

I read Jim Fenton's post after he got his D300 - thinking the color was not quite right. So, this morning I took my D300 out for its first shots. Here is a nef file in 5 modes - d2x - mode2, d2x -mode 3 (which is what I shot - and Jim too), NX neutral, standard, and vivid. I like D2X mode 3 best, with standard 2nd.

I am interested in comments and thoughts others have who use NX. I shot nef, processed (doing nothing but choosing different modes), and slightly cropped in NX. In PS, I reduced the levels to .92, resized, sharpened a tiny bit, and saved as jpg 10.

D2X-mode2
89611344.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D2X - mode 3

View attachment 132184

neutral

View attachment 132185

standard

View attachment 132186

vivid

View attachment 132187

I also like the Vivid image the best, however the Standard appears to do just fine too. I was concerned at seeing Jim Fenton's post with Vivid but yours appears fine and not exagerated. I also was concerned with sharpness but in seeing your grasses and feathers, you seem to have enough sharpness to suite me. Nice work Allan,
Rob

I'm Witholding Judgement

Until I get my next replacement body.

The current body (replacement #1) meters horribly....the colors are way off as compared to what I'm seeing elsewhere and the AF tracking is really bad if it works at all.

It should arrive this week.

Interestingly, one other person has contacted me with identical issues.

I'm wondeing how closely (if at all) the metering issue is tied to the AF ability.

I had assumed that this only comes into play when 3D tracking is invocked, but I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't all working together in the scene recognition system.

I don't need scene recognition if I'm shooting single point AF....don't know if it's in effect all of the time or not?

I do need to comment relative to the sharpness as it seems as though the GBH isn't in correct focus? Perhaps it's just the sharpening routine / amount that you applied? Were these heavily cropped?

G

genady

I read that for each setting you can adjust -3 to +3. Would be cool to see what the difference there. I like the standard. The vivid comes out a bit harsh for my taste. But I can see where this could be useful at times.

I like the Vivid, D2x mode 3 and standard for these examples.
I am anxiously awaiting UPS delivery of my D300 today. UPS normally comes through my neighborhood between 5:30/6:30pm but I find myself looking out the window every time I hear a truck pass.

I think I still like my settings, in camera, of Standard +1 saturation, 5 sharpening. Then, in NX maybe go to D2X modeIII and apply my LCH velvia-contrast curve. But, very interesting. Great work Allan.

Nancy

I will go back at some point to try your standard with +1 saturation to see how it compares with the others. I think Vivid is too much for me - yours may be just right. :smile:

I read that for each setting you can adjust -3 to +3. Would be cool to see what the difference there. I like the standard. The vivid comes out a bit harsh for my taste. But I can see where this could be useful at times.

Genady - perhaps you can try Nancy's idea too. A second cafe member from Nashua. Welcome.

Oh boy!

I had assumed that this only comes into play when 3D tracking is invocked, but I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't all working together in the scene recognition system.

I don't need scene recognition if I'm shooting single point AF....don't know if it's in effect all of the time or not?

I don't know anything about scene recognition - do I need to look at the manual? :confused: Is this the camera supposedly making an intelligent decision based on variables on Nikon knows about?

I do need to comment relative to the sharpness as it seems as though the GBH isn't in correct focus? Perhaps it's just the sharpening routine / amount that you applied? Were these heavily cropped?

Here is a screen shot - no sharpening - focus off a bit (embarrassed to say) - but not cropped much at all.

89616086.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Question Now Becomes

Why was the focus off?

The active reticule was obviously in an acceptable spot.

It doesn't appear as motion blur to me?

Nikon, obviously realizing that many users of its previous flagship DSLR will be migrating to its successors, has made available 'Picture Controls' aiming to emulate the color reproduction of the D2X(s) on the new D3 and D300. There are three such controls, mirroring the original color modes I to III. These settings may be used as a base point to add further tweaks and should prove a major time-saver to photographers wishing to upgrade their camera bodies and continue with their existing workflow. The Picture Controls are available now via Nikon's website, links after the jump.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0711/07112701nikond2xmode.asp

The current body (replacement #1) meters horribly....the colors are way off as compared to what I'm seeing elsewhere and the AF tracking is really bad if it works at all.

Wow Jim another new body? Is it going to be "3 strikes you're out" for the D300?

G

genady

Genady - perhaps you can try Nancy's idea too. A second cafe member from Nashua. Welcome.

I would love to! As soon as Ritz will give me my new camera. They appear to be ego to take my money but not in a rush to give a merchandise. Well, I guess I should get off complaining horse. Thank you for a welcome note.

For straight out of the camera results I think the "Standard" mode looks the best, the Vivid is a bit much for me.

I'll probably continue to use ACR for conversions though, so these settings are largely irrelevent to me. I'll probably use the "neutral" setting in-camera for histogram/preview purposes.

Allan, I think you could apply a bit of sharpening. I really believe most pics need some. Either put some in the picture control mode, I start with 3 or 4, or maybe try that high pass sharpening, selectively, in NX. I find that quite nice. Or come up with a preset with USM. I sometimes use around a 2 or 3 in the standard mode then use high pass to selectively sharpen a bit.

When I get home I will PP using just the Standard, +1 saturation and such and then one that I PP using D2XmodeIII and my LCH curve for velvia look and contrast and then post them and see what people think. They just might be just two different ways to get the same results. We will see.

Cheers
Nancy

Latest threads

Top Bottom