1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Coming troubles?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Bikinchris, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Just a heads up fro those who haven't heard about the new SEC rules on photography. Now there's even a set of rules for the FANS:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1027680.ece

Just another thought. There are often people posting on here that they want video in the next D3 replacement. After reading this article, it brings the issue up again from a standpoint of a guy trying to make money shooting stills at games. If you have video capability, you might get denied access. And, it's just a matter of time before every league and sport has a similar policy.

2. Well I can understand where they are coming from, but come on how far are they willing to go?

Think of it this way though with probably an average of 75000 fans at a game, thats a lot of people to police and make sure they aren't doing anything wrong. I think they will be spending more money in doing so, therefore is it really worth it to the schools!

3. Nope, but they can sure police us sideline shooters, and make sure that we aren't able to take any video. The $3 billion the networks pay talks real loud.

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Geoff, I think the enforcement would be more like the Napster file sharing prosecution. If they see a video on youtube, they sue for $3BB for each upload....

5. Tims right Geoff, it wouldnt so much be the enforcement there. It would be legally. And just because of this people will be scared to post anything in the chance that this happens.

6. Yeah I guess your right. Chris we really shouldn't be taking video at events like that if we are on the sideline. A reason why I feel there shouldn't be a video feature on the pro series cameras. There is a reason why there are Pro still cameras and Pro video cameras they both are great at what they are meant to do.

7. Very interesting article.

Technologically, enforcement is rather simple, although it would require some legislative action at the federal level. Technology to block cell phone transmissions exists, does $3 billion speak loud enough to the legislators?

8. The SEC response to the world of changing technology reminds me of the record industry trying to stop mp3 creation and distribution over the Internet.

Lotta money gonna get spent and a lot of little people going to get hurt by the giant while it learns that in the end, it can't win the battle.

Gary

9. That's what I was trying to say in my normal muddled fashion. This just reinforces my saying that I don't want video on my sports camera. Because I don't want any part of being accused of trying to shoot video on the sidelines.
    If I am there to shoot video, I am going to get a video press credential and have a video camera. I don't want the hassle of being screened for having video on my DSLR.
    Let them put video in the lower model cameras all they want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.