Commander mode

I was trying some different flash positions. My question is my D300 has to have the pop up flash up. The flash fires but is it timed so it doesn't expose the subject? Can I turn it off completely? I know the +- next to the flash controls the pop up flash and the +- by the on/off switch controls the off camera flash exposure.

Here is what I got tonight.

Bounce off the ceiling.
5721338930_1eecc22c00_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_6218 by vindex1963

Aimed up from below.
5720780227_b8ea5060a3_b.jpg

DSC_6230 by vindex1963

Set up like this with my LumiQuest Ultrasoft diffuser.

5721339288_19ef327977_b.jpg

DSC_6233 by vindex1963

Yes you can turn it off in the menu options. Within the commander mode settings.
Someone will pop along with the actual menu number before I get home to check on mine.

It doesn't turn off the preflashes, just doesn't fire as a fill flash during exposure.

In the Commander menu, you can set the "Mode" for the "Built-in Flash" to "TTL", "M" (Manual), or "--" (built-in flash "does not" contribute to the exposure). You still need to have the pop-up raised. Group A and Group B can be set to control off-camera flashes that work with CLS (like your SB-600).

Even when in "--" there is a small contribution from the pop-up. Whether or not it influences the shot depends heavily on distance. The IR panel mentioned above helps to block it. Some folks just tape an old film negative the pop-up to do the same thing for cheaper.

The camera commander menu has a Mode for the Builtin Flash. Change the mode for that group from TTL to be "- -". D300 manual page 291. This mode disables the internal flash so that it does not contribute to the scene lighting.

However it must still be the commander. It still must flash commands to the remote flashes before the shutter opens. There is still a trigger signal, which is generally too weak to have effect, usually, but it can cause small visible effect in very close or very reflective subjects, or at wide apertures. For example, your drinking glass.

You can add the $12 Nikon SG-3IR infrared panel to block even that (intended for close macro work). See http://www.scantips.com/lights/awl.html#panel
This panel can also help prevent the commander flashing from making human subjects blink, but FV Lock is generally very effective about that.

I just ordered the SG-3IR. B&H are sold out. Amazon had 15 left.
Page 294 explains more but in minimum detail.

It makes it sound like the external flash is fired from the built in flash not a wireless signal.

Group "A" and group "B".
When I'm firing my only remote flash an SB-600 then it's considered group "A"?

Thanks so much everyone. The help and kindness is appreciated.

I'm sorry, my typo. I meant D300 page 293, the one showing the commander menu choices.

Yes, the internal flash is the commander controlling the remote flashes. It is "wireless", but it is optical light, not radio. It flashes commands visible to you BEFORE the shutter opens. Not visible to the picture because the shutter is still closed. However - it also must fire one more trigger signal after the shutter opens, to tell the remotes to fire then. There are other commanders possible too, the SU-800, or a hot shoe flash (SB-700, SB-800, SB-900). They all work the same way (via groups, etc). These other commanders (except SB-700) can control three remote groups, A, B, C. The SU-800 includes the builtin infrared filter, like the SG-3IR.

The remote flash sensors are also red-filtered, and they respond to the infrared part of it (always substantially present in flash), so they still work after the SG-3IR shield is in place to block the visible light. I do think the red infrared screen reduces the maximum range a little, but which is unimportant for the up close work it was intended for.

You set the remote flash menu to be group A or group B. Then group A in the commander controls that specific flash that you set to be group A. Both could be group B if you so desire (doesn't matter), but of course, they must agree and match.

The one important thing.. if you use two remote flashes, it is best to put one in group A and one in group B, so that the commander can then individually control them. Meters them individually, and sets their power level individually. All of the commander signals address the specific group by group number. The built-in internal flash can be the third group, if not disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased the SB-700. This along with two AB-600 units and one AB-900 and I have a lot too learn concerning wireless flash. If time permits I will do some practicing this weekend. I may decide to get some of the inexpensive wireless triggers.

My SG-3IR came in today and my wife came home with a flower.

Group A Manual 1/32
f/3.5 @ 35mm
1/60
TTL way overpowered the flowers.
5742144680_44e7377260_b.jpg

I had the flash diffused and above.

5741591697_2365f27e17_b.jpg

I used the SB-700 as a commander and one SB-600 &SB-900 to shoot some firearms today. I'll get em downloaded in a bit and post. I must say using the 700 as commander, my remotes fired each time and I bounced the commander off walls and ceilings.

I used the SB-700 as a commander and one SB-600 &SB-900 to shoot some firearms today. I'll get em downloaded in a bit and post. I must say using the 700 as commander, my remotes fired each time and I bounced the commander off walls and ceilings.

Looking forward to see them

Here ya go, SB900 to the right in 26" soft box. SB-600 left in 16" soft box.
SB-700 set to commander and bounced off ceiling backwards

_DSC1358.jpg

_DSC1362.jpg

Thanks, I have 4 Nikon flash units. and three soft boxes.

I posted some images in the miscellany forum of firearms using the same technique

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom