1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Comments from an old timer.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Nice butt shot Gordon, thanks for that!! *LOL* Hope that wasn't a subliminal message....
    As far as having a butt shot forum, I'm all for it as that seems to be the standard Mother Nature pose for almost all birds "oh oh, the photographer is here, show her your butt!"

2. In New York there is a very thin, pie-shaped building on 23rd street. It's sometimes known as the flat-iron building. You'd probably recognize it if you saw it.

This occurred around the turn of the 19-20th century or just after. Because of the unique shape of the building on windy days there were all sorts of unpredictable gusts which would play havoc with the ladies' skirts. Word got around to the men in town that you could check out the chick's ankles (that's about all one could see because of their length). Because of this disgraceful behavior policemen would patrol this area to protect the womens' honor and gave the mashers "the 23 skidoo." Roughly equivalent to "get lost you creep."

It became a way of explaining that a guy's advances were rebuffed. "She gave me the old 23 skidoo."

And now you know ther rest of the story.......yawn.

Now could someone explain where "BOY HOWDY" a common expression in the deep south, came from?

:roll:

3. Thanks Mike and Sandi. By the way Sandi there was no subliminal message intended I just wanted to get your attention. :wink: Love the work by both of you so keep posting.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Paul, I think that is a good suggestion and will insure that it is considered.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    The Flatiron building was put up in 1902. It's at 23rd, Broadway, and 5th. I used to work not far from it and know it well.

But the origin of "23 skidoo" may predate the Flatiron, coming from the Civil War era.

"Boy Howdy" is also a mid-western expression. I picked it up working there maybe fifteen years ago. Don't where it comes from...

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.