Comments Please On Post Processed Shot

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ken-L, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have the original Adobe Photoshop Elements (no numbers, just Elements) and for most of what I do it's fine, I haven't done a lot of intense PP. I was playing with a shot I had posted and like the results I got by selectively choosing different areas of the photo and processing them differently. I did not use layers. Elements has a "magic wand" that selects all areas of the same "type", so I used it for three different areas in the distance to enhance them. I like the result - at least until you all tell me it's awful and what I did wrong..... 8)

But seriously, I would like some comments about #1 - the original shot, and #2 the Post Processed one, and which you like better:

#1 - Original Shot
    [​IMG]

#2 - Post Processed

[​IMG]

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Ken,

The clouds in the second picture seem cleaner and nicer. What puzzles me is how you got some of the buildings in the center left look yellowish? I like it.

Somewhat the bottom left (greenery, hill at the edge) look a tiny little less vibrant to me, but I'm not sure.

The mountain range has less haze in the processed picture, but - IMHO - the color shift bothers me a little (just a matter of different taste). It has more detail, though.

All in all I prefer the second (processed) version. It was definitely worth processing.

I myself am a newbie to PS, and have still a long way to go.

How do you like PS Elements? I also thought about getting it.

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I like everything but the excessing blueish/cyan cast to the hills in the distance and the water, I would either reduce this effect or try to make it greener somehow. This is all a matter of personal taste I think though, the post processing is good, as long as you like what you see, there are no obvious problems in my opinion.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken,

You should play in PS.. It can turn many thing into things you never expect, even by accident.

You might like to try Elements 3 :>)))

Sometimes I take an image into PSCS and start to just do a clean up job, PP stuff and end up with a painting.. lol

I think you did a great job.. Looks very nice.

5. I somehow agree with Twig.

You brought out The Hills in your processed photograph and they almost look like the focal point now. I would reduce the effect and concentrate on the tall buildings.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Good ideas...thanks for the comments....Elements gave me a hard time with the water, but I'm sure I can tone the hills down a bit, both areas that I found acceptable but marginally.

So, here is my final (I hope) version with your suggestions (for the most part) in effect.

[​IMG]

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    The second is definitely better (for me). The added detail and contrast in the cloud layer help balance the very busy ground layer, and add to the sense of depth with the lack of detail of the mountains in the middle. I'd be tempted to add a little more saturation to the sky and clouds, just to see how it would look.
    I think this is one of those photos that you could PP in several different ways, including cropping it differently, and end up with several different but equally pleasing products.

8. Hey Ken,

You up at Sutro Towers taking this shot?

_/oe

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Sure was.....I used to live in Sutro Forest, on Clarendon in the shadow of the peaks and towers.....loved the fog.....then I was at Lake & 22nd, and from my roof could watch the ships coming into the bay.

10. Fantastic! I spent many a day up there doing the same thing (have some wicked "film" shots of the fog covering the city back in the early 90's with a few of the towers showing through the top.

If you drive up Portola, I lived in the blue building just under the towers (you can't miss it as it's the only blue building on the hill).

One of the best places I ever lived.

Thanks for posting. Great shot!

_/oe

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Nice work, Ken. It's really one of those pictures you can do a lot with postprocessing to really make it shine. I love the buildings and the clouds as contrast. Also the sea came out nicely, and the hills are much improved. (I did spot some places on the top rim of the hills - see the very right and some in the center left - where it looks like your changes weren't applied to).

Well, I'm viewing it on my laptop sitting in the garden, and this doesn't do the photo the full credit it diserves. I definitely will have another look at it on my large screen. I'm sure it will also look great on a large print (A3 or larger, perhaps).

It's a really wonderful image that greatly benefited from your PP.

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Ken,
    I didn't see your final version until this morning -- nicely done!