Common Eider, Common Loon, Horned Grebe, Crabs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Jan 1, 2006.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I took a break from my typical raptorial pursuits this weekend and though I'd try something different. I walked up the creek at low tide, set myself up three times over the past few days and attempted to get some decent shots of Common Eiders. These are our largest US ducks and while they are typically on the ocean side of the dunes on Plum Island, I've noted a group that swims in with the tide this past week...and I went and lived with them for a few days (off and on of course).

Lots of varying and challenging light...front lit, back lit, side lit (lots of EV compensation required), cloud and wind situations and it averaged 16 degrees each morning when I arrived. The light levels were low due to the overcast much of the time and shuytter speeds were marginal much of the time, even when shooting at ISO 500.

Along with the Eiders, I found common loons and horned grebes..and everyone was eating crabs.

All shots...D2X~500 AFSII and TC14EII

Several Common Eider males:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

A few Common Eider Females:

original.

original.

original.

original.

A couple of Common Loons in the winter coats:

original.

original.

And finally....a really spooky but neat Horned Grebe:

original.

2. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Wow, beautiful pictures, nice colors and sharpness. I wish I could take pictures like you, Jim.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Nice work here, especially with the "crabby" birds.

And how are you feeling in this New Year ?

John P.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi PJP

I was actually feeling really good till the diverticulitis said hello again...and I'm really considering calling the gut doctor Tuesday and telling him to just fix the darn thing?????????????????????

I thought that the "crabby" ones were kinda neat :)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Jim,
    Birds I have never seen before :>))

Sorrry your still under the weather..
    Hope all will be much better real soon.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Jeez, that purely sucks. I was laid low for two weeks gthrough the holidays with a damn' 'flu bug, but it's trivial by comparison.

I saw Sensei Ron last week when he was in the area, and we were both wondering how you were doing. Take good care of yourself, buddy...

John P.

P.S. Yeah, the "crabby" ones were good catches ! How did they swallow them ?

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Jim those are some of your very best "non-raptor" shots yet, rivaling even your previous Loon pics! The first few are simply outstanding shots! Hey, hope you feel better soon, no matter what it takes. :wink:

8. very nice series Jim. Birds I dont get to see down here.

9. Great shots Jim! I particularly like the middle two female Common Eider shots(Nos 8 & 9). The lighting is really nice on these two. No. 8 could use a bit of noise reduction, but the lighting and colours are great. I know you say these are taken at Plum Island, but where is that. I have never seen a Common Eider here on the west coast. I am also amzed at how close you were able to get for these shots. Sure wish I could afford a 500 f4 or 600 f4. Oh well maybe when I win the lottery.

Cheers

Tim

10. Really beautiful, Jim, as always.

And yes, get the gut fixed.

11. WOW I am embarrassed to post my shots from today these are incredible I was hoping to see some eiders at Barnegat today but none were around. I am speechless just fantastic Jim

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Jim, especially the 'crabbies'. :smile:

I hope you get to feeling better.