Common flies

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    A couple of, I suspect, rather common flies that were attracted to the flowers shown. Wet, rainy day, so they didn't move too quick. The black fly was quite large in comparison to the metallic green fly. Not too interesting, but perhaps someone might find them useful. Shooting info on pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. When I was a kid, we'd try to catch those green flies and then throw them into spider webs. (I know, we were mean, but it was cool). I don't think I'd want to touch that first one, though. He's disgusting looking. Ick! ;)

Great shots though! :)

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I agree...kinda reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in that movie "The Fly"....S-C-A-R-Y!!!!

But they are wonderful shots. Very sharp and vivid colors. Well done.

4. Fantastic pictures of a not so fantastic subject. Enough to make you skin crawl.

Yeuch, and well done !

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Leigh, I just KNEW that black fly looked familiar!! Thanks for the reminder.
    Jerry Snider

6. Jerry the intracacies of insects has me intrigued. I am finding myself drawn to know more about them and to see them as you have presented them helps. Ever since I found an interest in trying to capture them with the camera the need to understand them has grown. Thanks for these.
    dave

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry,

Excellent captures. True, the subjects may be one of the least popular members of the insect species, but still well shot. 8)

8. Jerry,

These are fantastic! I am in the minority here. I think the first one is kind of cute (hairy little bugger) ...I have been watching way too many cartoons with my son! :lol:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jerr, only you can make a fly Beautiful..

Super shots.

10. Jerry very good, you made great steps with your X in a short time, i guess the D70 isn't used has much now.

11. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the input, folks. I didn't realize that common flies would be viewed this much--things must be slow in the plant/macro site. The plant that these were on seems to attract LOTS of different kinds of butterflies, beetles, flies. Since they are just starting to open, I hope to get more (and much better) pics in the near future (like, today).

Gilles, I use the D70 as much (or more) than the D2x--but mainly on fishing trips, etc.

Jerry Snider

12. Wonderful shots Jerry, I really like the second one. It's so great that there are such talented people like you to show us such tiny details of things we would never notice.