Common Loon

Spent the weekend over on the coast of Washington State where it was Clam tide weekend so there were plenty of people but very few birds and no eagles. So visited the local fishing harbor looking for birds and found a pair of Loons. These guys don't give you much time before the dive and who knows where they may come back up. I've never seen and bird stay down as long as these guys can.

All shot with D2X, 500/4.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 92014

Louie

WOW, that's a pretty bird! LOL, I know what you mean about a bird diving and not knowing where it's gonna come up - I found that out Friday when I got photos of a surf scoter - the only one seen in TX so far. It was fun trying to guess where he'd pop up at!

WOW, that's a pretty bird! LOL, I know what you mean about a bird diving and not knowing where it's gonna come up - I found that out Friday when I got photos of a surf scoter - the only one seen in TX so far. It was fun trying to guess where he'd pop up at!
Thanks Dianne. These were the first for me on a Loon. They sure can swim under water for a long long ways.

Louie

Very well done Louie. The one thing I noticed about them is that they are a pretty big bird. When in the breeding plumage they are sure pretty. I sure know what you mean about diving and how far they can travel underwater. Much like the cormorant. It must have been fun to see them.

Great series, Louis. These birds are difficult to capture due to the dark feathers and quick movements. They can resurface 50-150 feet away from their dive spot. I've pulled many a neck muscle swinging around trying to shoot them on the lake up north. You did a great job on this series!

Top Bottom