1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Common Loon

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Spent the weekend over on the coast of Washington State where it was Clam tide weekend so there were plenty of people but very few birds and no eagles. So visited the local fishing harbor looking for birds and found a pair of Loons. These guys don't give you much time before the dive and who knows where they may come back up. I've never seen and bird stay down as long as these guys can.

All shot with D2X, 500/4.

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    500mm    f/5.6    1/180s    ISO 320

original.

View attachment 92014

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    500mm    f/5.6    1/350s    ISO 320

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    500mm    f/5.6    1/250s    ISO 320

Louie

2. So, Louie, whats the clam count?

I almost put my back out with a clam gun years ago.

3. WOW, that's a pretty bird! LOL, I know what you mean about a bird diving and not knowing where it's gonna come up - I found that out Friday when I got photos of a surf scoter - the only one seen in TX so far. It was fun trying to guess where he'd pop up at!

4. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Great shots Louis, Nice details, looks like you where shooting against the light too!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice Louie,
    Great to see those.

6. Very nice Louie!

Anthony

7. Beautiful set, Louie.

8. Good stuff you nailed the first one great pose and nice exposure I have yet to get a shot of these guys in breeding plumage

9. Thanks Ron. Not sure of the count, but I think the folks digging numbered very closely to the clam count.

Louie

10. Thanks Dianne. These were the first for me on a Loon. They sure can swim under water for a long long ways.

Louie

11. Very well done Louie. The one thing I noticed about them is that they are a pretty big bird. When in the breeding plumage they are sure pretty. I sure know what you mean about diving and how far they can travel underwater. Much like the cormorant. It must have been fun to see them.

12. Thanks for taking a look.

Louie

13. Thanks Gale.

Louie

14. Very nice markings on those feathers. Looks like difficult exposure with the light, but you got some great detail.

15. Great series, Louis. These birds are difficult to capture due to the dark feathers and quick movements. They can resurface 50-150 feet away from their dive spot. I've pulled many a neck muscle swinging around trying to shoot them on the lake up north. You did a great job on this series!

16. Beautiful series Louis.

17. Thanks Anthony for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

Louie

18. Thanks Phil.

Louie

19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good set Louie

20. Hi Mike and thanks for your comments. These Loons have proven to be a difficult subject for me that's for sure. You never know where they'll bob up the next time.

Louie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.