Communion

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put these. They were supposed to be more formal but I am far from a professional. I have never used outdoor flash before. I went to a Communion and took a few of the child before the party. I definitely had some problems with exposure. I was trying to use some fill flash but many came out overexposed. I was using my D300 with the sb-600 with a lumiquest bouncer attached. Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D lens.

Here were my settings: Aperture Priority f2.8, ISO 200, Shutter 1/250. I think they were overexposed because the the shutter couldn't go higher because of the flash sync speed. I wanted the aperture low to blur the background. It didn't really work out.

How could I have done better with these? They're kind of a hot mess.

5751738045_56c7b7b037_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5752284084_7c1434006a_b.jpg

5752289342_a21febfdb3_b.jpg

Here are the rest Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I think number 3 is the best. the only nit pick I have would be her smile.

Number 2 seems a little soft and in number 1, the tree trunk on the right that is out of focus is distracting to me. It also seems a little soft but she has the best smile in that shot.

They are all good shots, just nitpicks :smile:

Using aperture is the correct way to blur the background, you had the right idea there. But while the aperture stays the same, the depth of field is effected by both the BGs distance from the subject, as well as the camera's distance from the subject.

I agree with Scott that #3 is the best. I like the pose and the setting.

When I'm using my flash outdoors as a fill flash I normally will have it turned down to a
-3 exposure setting so that it's not firing at full power. I also point it away from the subject and either use a bounce card or a small soft box attached to the flash. Recently I have started using a small reflector that allows better control of light on the subject. If I'm shooting in the mid-day sun I'll lay it on the ground in front of me and angle it up slightly so that I remove the shadows under the eyes.

A small softbox sounds like something to try. The pocket bouncer just isn't doing what I want it to do. I did try adjusting the exposure compensation on the camera but I don't think I tried the flash settings.

I like the 3rd setting best but unfortunately that was the last location we tried and she had had it by then so there are no good smiles. It was also pretty sunny there. I'd love to try these again in the early morning or late afternoon. :)

if you have sb600 on camera then you can use fp sync, which gets you past the 1/250 max sync speed, the other approach is to use a ND filter on the lens which allows you to keep within the 1/250 sync speed

there is a tendency to reach for a flash when it is often not needed, a reflector and well chosen locations (where you can remove direct sun) can produce some very nice images, using flash on camera makes the lighting 'flat' because it is coming from the direction of the camera and removes interesting shadow

That is great advice. I don't have a ND filter but I think it would have helped. I just got a reflector but I have not had a chance to practice with it yet.

BEFORE

5759945877_21aee04c75_z.jpg

AFTER

5759945797_1f3c56cef3_z.jpg

I'm sorry...her vein on her forehead was bothering me...I had to remove it. She is so fair complexion that sometimes you can make that call. Enjoy. I do charge $25.00 an hour for retouches, her dark circles are gone and her brown eyes are brighten. LOL. Thanks for letting me work on your image.

P.S. Be care with clothes...her dress in the front poofed up near her neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Seneca - they do look better! That vein on her forehead is in every shot. She is really pale. I would have have thought to remove the bags under her eyes, they are such a prominent part of her face. She does look better without them. Thank you for your help.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom