Comp card photos with no studio

I'm doing comp card photos for a friend's relative (12) tomorrow afternoon as a favor (i.e. pro bono, i.e. free). I've been in e-mail & phone contact with the mom.

Sorry this is not a specific question, but I'm worried that I'm missing some tips or advice that I may regret after the shoot, so I'm trying to see if anyone has general or specific advice on this.

I will be shooting at their house. I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've heard there is plenty of nice scenery. I set the time for 4 p.m. for (hopefully) good natural lighting.

I plan on bringing the 85mm and Bogen tripod for the headshot. I have a large white piece of foamcore to use as a reflector with window light but what about a backdrop?

Also, one idea for a comp card photo was the young lady riding her bike. I haven't really done panning in a long time. What shutter speed should I be using?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post. :rolleyes:

This is something that can be done without a studio. Find a good location, and shoot away. Take lots of pics, and let the young lady choose the ones she's like to use.

I'm all for pro bono work, but what do you get out of the deal? Will she be using you for something else in the future? Will she be purchasing any prints? Is she at least paying for material necessary to make the cards?? It's one thing to do work to help people out, but not if it's costing you money. If you're just a kind-hearted person and don't mind spending the money, go for it.

If the shoot is outdoors, you should be fine. As for the bike riding shot, I would try to keep the shutter speed from 250-500. You could probably stop the action at 250, because it's not like she's going to be riding by you at 100 mph. :biggrin: Have her ride slowly, smile and snap away. Follow her all the way through the shot, which won't be too long with such a high shutter speed...

My experience regarding a comp card. I did a shoot with an actor. His head shot and his Doctor and Lawyer "looks" had already done by another photographer. However, he also wanted an outdoors man type look - we decided on a fisherman look. He is an avid fly fisherman so he has the gear. Initially, I figured a shot of him casting with a long loop of line and a lot of the stream visible in the shot. After thinking it for a bit, I figured more of a close-up would be in order - after all the shot is all about him and his look and not the outdoors per say. Have a look in my galleries for the fly fisherman shots.

Would riding the bike be more about biking than your subject? A motion panning effect is a cool photography shot, but is the goal a cool photography shot? Does she have to be riding the bike? Should you use the bike as more of a prop? Maybe she could be standing with the bike between her legs and her arms crossed over the handlebars.

Anyway, just my thoughts for what their worth. Keep in mind I am no pro - pretty darn far from it really.

Thanks Keith and Fred. I should have posted this sooner since it is now 24 hours post shoot. I promise to post one of the pictures in the people section tonight.

Fred, you're right about panning though, it was a silly idea. After posting it I realized for myself that just her standing with the bike would work, which is what we did.

Look for my post shortly.

Peace

Latest threads

Top Bottom