1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Compact Fladh for D3/D3x

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishnbanjo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Aug 4, 2009
    southern ME
    What are your favorites?

SanDisk Extreme III or IV in 8 or 16 GB
    Hoodman 300x UDMA in 8 or 16 GB
    Lexar Pro 300x in 8 or 16 GB

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  2. John-O

John-O

Jul 26, 2008
    Carson, CA, USA
    I've been using SanDisk cards since 2004. My D3 gets the 8GB Extreme IV and the D200 uses Extreme IIIs.

3. SanDisk Extreme III 16GB

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Sandisk Extreme III 4GB and 8GB.

5. Sandisk Extreme III, 8GB 16 GB with D3X

6. SB400...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Sorry....that's what came to mind first.

7. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Sandisk Extreme IV 16Gb in D3. Never noticed a card-related delay, reformats in about a second, no problems.

8. My fav is the extreme 4. However the 30 MB/s extreme 3 is a great value. I have both extreme 4 and 3

9. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    extreme 4 and 3

10. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    extreme III 30 mb/s is the best card considering price to performance ratio and it's speed is enough for 99% of the situations

if you are thinking faster card allows me to shoot more fps, then if you do the math you will see that the gain is not that much

considering you will shot 8fps and your buffer is 16 frames, then you will fill the buffer
    in 2 seconds... now the speed difference between sandisk III and IV is approximately
    around 6 mb/sec, so those two seconds will give you one more frame to shoot

so if you need to be able to shoot more frames, then it's rather worth spending your money upgrading the d3 buffer than buying extrteme IV cards

11. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Choose you camera and see the actual performance numbers.

But I agree the 30mb/sec Extreme IIIs are the best deal with rebate til mid Septmeber. 3 - 8gb cards for $164 and they send you an $80 prepaid CC. The Exteme IV's aren't a bad deal either $342 for 3 cards with a $200 card. But I never had any card related issues with the older Extreme III cards and the new ones are faster so when I just upgraded I didn't bother with the IV's.

12. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    worth mention are speed differences between card of the same type but different capacity

for example extreme III 8 and 32GB are much slower than extreme 4 and 16GB

13. Ducati in slot 1 of my D3 and Lexar UDMA pro in slot 2. Fastest and second fastest cards I could find.
    At 9fps I can get as many as 80 frames on the Ducati and about 75 frames on the Lexar.

14. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Depending on what your needs are the SB-400 might to a good job. Granted the SB-600 or SB-900 are a lot more versatile, but they're not as compact as the SB-400 is. It's a really compact flash.

:smile:

15. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS

I now use exclusively TRANSCEND 8gb (own 10)....have 2 Lexar 2gb fantastic cards but Transcend does as good as Lexar or SanDisk and is usually a whole lot less expensive.......I purcahsed 6 of my current 10 Transcend 8gb cards for 15.99.....now they are between $29 and $79.......so I can get a 16gb card for less than 2 8gb cards............

All brands of cards fail.........it is just a matter of when....not if.........so I have a great recovery software from Lexar that recovers all the current raws, jpgs ..........

16. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    SanDisk Extreme III 8GB plenty fast for my D300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.