Compact flash readers

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by pcjr, Dec 13, 2005.

1. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    I have been using a PC card adapter to transfer images from compact flash cards to my computer. It takes me at least 15 minutes or so to transfer a "full" 1GB Lexar card. I am wondering if a Firewire compact flash reader would be any quicker, or if the limitation is simply the flash card read speed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

A Firewire CF reader should do much better than this, so for that matter would a USB 2.0-based reader. The PC card adapters tend to be quite slow, so I prefer not using them if possible.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I had to install a new card in my PC giving me USB 2.0, and adding 5 USB ports. The newer systems generally come with the USB 2.0 already there, instead of the old 1.1. If you do add USB 2.0 make certain that the card reader you use is also capable of 2.0.

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

The Delkin Devices CARDBUS 32-BIT HI SPEED is suppose to 4 to 6 times faster than the normal PC Card Readers.

5. Go with USB 2.0 card reader, nice and simple...the pc card is so slow!

6. I have a Thunderbolt USB 2.0 compactflash card reader and it is very fast. Your computer needs a USB 2.0 card to take advantage of the 2.0 reader. Most new computers are USB 2.0 equipped (about the same speed as Firewire 400).

7. dont really want to show my ignorance, BUT what is a PC card adaptor?

8. I have a "Lexar High-Speed 32-bit Cardbus Reader" It is as fast in my Dell D800 notebook as my USB 2.0 card reader. I have tested and compared.

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

It is a card reader that goes in the card slot on the side of your laptop.
    They are often referred as PCM/CIA cards and slots.

For the most part they are slow, but there are some new ones that are very fast.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not all card readers are created equal, and there can be huge differences in performance between readers that supposedly use the same interface. Don't assume that some no-name card reader will be just as good as the Lexar/Sandisk readers just because it's USB2 or Firewire. I have a USB 2 reader that tops out around 2-3 MB/s, but others supposedly can do much better. My main card reader is Lexar firewire reader that is as fast as any card you throw at it, I get just under 11 MB/s from my Ultra II's with it. The cardbus adapters are not as fast as the best USB2/Firewire readers, even the 32 bit ones. I have Lexar's 32-bit cardbus reader for use with my laptop and it tops out around 5-6 MB/s and it's supposedly the fastest of the cardbus readers.

I suggest checking out Rob Gilbraith's website, he has performance numbers on not only CF cards but also card readers if I recall.

11. marc

marc Guest

i use a sandisk 8in 1

fast easy

just plug it in, put in card or whatever and 123 done

enjoy

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've got a Lexar Firewire CF reader, and a SIIG USB2 CF reader. I keep the USB2 in my bag cause it's more universal, but I use the FW reader on my desk machine cause it'll download a 1 gig card in 85 seconds, while the USB takes over 2 minutes.

13. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    85 seconds! I never imagined that such speeds were possible! My laptop is kind of old, so it doesn't support USB2. It does have built-in firewire. I must give that a try right away!

14. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    Thanks for the reference, I am checking it out now.

15. [​IMG]

16. Thanks Pa. My computer has a built in USB 2.o card reader and I use also a plug in Usb 2.0 reader. I can not see any difference in the load times. Looks like this device in your picture is designed for laptop?
    Dave
    Ps if you look at my post on My workstation, you will see your new gear in the right hand side of the frame. sent UPS this am with an intended delivery of friday.
    dave

17. Thanks, Dave, I look forward to receiving it.

Yes, the PCMCIA adapter fits a slot available on most laptop computers. This has been my preferred way of downloading pictures to my computer. I then transfer them to the Dell workstation over my home network.

My new laptop, a tiny Dell X1(on the far right of the picture), has no PCMCIA slot, but it has slots for both CF and SD cards. The CF reader seems maybe a bit faster than the PCMCIA card.