Compact Primes

Anyone else excited about the upcoming compact primes? I can't wait to get my hands on them -- particularly the 40mm -- and envision using them to turn my Z6 into a small and light carry everywhere setup for gatherings and street attempts.

I was happy to see that the 40mm will be f/2.0, and I think f/2.8 will be fine for the 28mm. A lot of people seem upset about what appears to be plastic mounts, but I think I'll be OK with that. Plus, there's a chance Nikon is just floating the idea for now and will release the lenses with metal mounts.

It'll be interesting to see how the image quality is. These aren't S lenses, and certainly there will be compromises to get them as small as they are. But if these perform well enough, I can see letting go of my 35mm S lens. Although I do love that lens, so maybe I'll just own a lot of primes in that space.

Yeah, I really like the 40mm FL. My suspicion is that the plastic mount is necessary so they can hit a price point and in this rapidly evolving technical age, they don't see these lenses as being passed down through a couple generations. If the performance exceeds my 16-50 and 50-250 (both plastic mounts and non-S glass), which hopefully it will as a prime, it will be more than good enough.

I'm sure the bokeh police will dissing them and the '500 corner pixel 200% enlargement' AR types will be shaking their heads but hey . . .

That plastic mount is a deal breaker for me. My guess is Nikon wants you to spend your money towards the S lenses! It's a bummer too, because my Nikon 1 10mm f/2.8 and 18.5mm f/1.8 lenses (28mm and 50mm equivalent) have metal lens mounts!

Real Name
Aaron
All we have to go on are renderings and speculation at this point, and we don't know anything about the optical performance. Although it would not surprise me if the compacts have plastic bayonets and cheaper build quality to get the price way down, that does not align with Nikon's goal of moving towards higher performance and higher end products. Perhaps they have an entry-level body coming that is more aligned with such build quality and low price points? It is just as plausible that someone overlooked the bayonet on the rendering before publishing.

Nikon could have just given a bit more information to prevent a lot of the angst, but in typical fashion, leaves far too much open to (mostly negative) interpretation...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't write them off just yet!

I would buy the 28 first and perhaps both. I had an Olympus OMD and Fuji XT just for the walk around capability the 4/3's mount provides and those lenses enable.

Also considering the Fuji X100v as an option if the price comes down.

I would buy the 28 first and perhaps both. I had an Olympus OMD and Fuji XT just for the walk around capability the 4/3's mount provides and those lenses enable.

Also considering the Fuji X100v as an option if the price comes down.

I was pretty close to getting a Fuji X-T30 as a smaller, carry everywhere camera, but I now expect these two primes to make my Z6 into that camera, when that's what I'm looking for. Which is a relief, because I didn't really want two different camera systems.

I did consider the Z50 with its really small kit lens for this purpose, but that lens is pretty slow. It's too bad that there aren't any DX specific primes for the Z50, although I suppose these new compacts will work. And Viltrox just announced three primes for DX.

Real Name
Andy
Regrettably, I sold a Leica Summicron-C 40mm f/2, several years ago. That lens and the M-Rokkor version of it are gems that were bundled with the Leica CL and Minolta CLE camera bodies in the 1970s. While the cameras were great, the lenses are truly special, and continue to be held in high regard.

I'm willing to bet that the upcoming Nikon 40mm f/2 rivals the excellent forty-year-old Summicron in optical quality; I plan to pre-order one whether its mount is metal or plastic.

Since news of these lenses came to us by way of a "development announcement," I suppose there's still a chance what we'll end up with will have metal mounts. Nikon may have floated these with the plastic mounts to gauge the reaction and may well decide to change the specs for production. I guess we'll see.

I'd certainly prefer metal over plastic, but I personally will buy both either way.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom