compact tripods/ mini tripods?

Can anyone recommend a good compact tripod? Im going to Europe in about a month on this 10 day European tour with my sister. Its mostly back packing and bus rides. So im looking for a light weight compact tripod that can be easily strapped onto my backpack. I'll be taking my nikon D80, 18-200VR, 18-55 dx, Sb-600 and 10.5 if i decide to buy it. Now I was looking at this one, do you think it could safely hold up my camera?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/377496-REG/Nikon_851_Compact_Camo_Tripod.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear adio3x,

that link just brings me to B&H's homepage.

Unless I really think I need it, when I travel I either use a small Ballhead on a Superclamp, or this:

mini pod

Most of the time, you can find something to put the little 'pod on top of, or even lash it to something to make up for it's lack of height. The price is right, and it's way easy to Pack.

Where in Europe are you going?

Lawrence

oops, fixed.

It starts in rome, then paris, france, some other places lol, then a little of the switz. I like how tiny that thing is and i know a perfect spot to keep it, but im looking for something that extends maybe 2-4 feet.

Cool- lots of photo ops.

really, for 2-4, you'll still usually want to find something to put it on, and that means finding something wide enough to fit it on. the little one can sit on a mailbox, bench, etc..

Lawrence

is that mini one really sturdy? If i put my d80 and a 18-200 on it, will it tip over?

is that mini one really sturdy? If i put my d80 and a 18-200 on it, will it tip over?

Surprising sturdy - I have the slik version of it and used it for some 1 minute exposures in London a year ago - sharp images, for a cheap little tripod its very good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/147125-REG/Slik_611_200_Mini_Tripod.html

I swapped the head for a QR one I had kicking about - other than that it was standard.

Might be worth chucking a monopod on your backpack too.

I have used a Calumet 7100 tripod for hiking. It packs very short and is still stable enough for my D70s with Sigma 10-20, Nikon 18-70 and 70-300VR. It is priced very reasonable (around $80 - I bought mine on sale for $50).

It has a locking, quick release plate and a three way head. When packed the two longer handles screw into each other and position themselves between two of the legs.

It has four section legs and The legs adjust to three angled positions, and it weighs about four pounds. It is rated to hold up to 11 lbs.

They also have a 7300 model which is slightly taller and chunkier ($100).

I chose the 7100 for its smaller size as I already have a much heavier duty tripod that is too big and heavy (10lbs.) to lug around while hiking.

D80, 70-300VR, SB600- it's a bit touchy with the legs at their shortest if you don't line up the lense over one of the legs, and it's plenty stable with the legs extended. also, surprisingly, the little suction cup gimmick (on the bottom of the center coloum) actually works pretty good.

Picture%20002.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SRA

This is what I use. It can hold the D3 with the 24-70 quite well. It can be found here.

tablelegs.gif

I also use a Berlebach wood tripod for other work.

118867854_mx5pa-L.jpg

Small mini-pods liek the Slik can also be used as a steady resy by pulling the legs back against the chest while focusing and shooting.

I also use a Berlebach wood tripod for other work.

118867854_mx5pa-L.jpg

I am looking for a tripod to use on my bicycle, and this tripod looks like a perfect solution.

2285766326_8ee9da3f11.jpg

The largest lens I use is maybe a Nikkor 180mm ED AI-s, but mostly I use wide angles on my Nikon F.

1337866755_25692e5fac.png

Can you give me anymore details on this tripod and your experience with it?

Thanks,

SRA

P. Lynn,

Before I answer your question you have to tell me that the orange bike above is a 10 speed touring Peugeot. For if it is, I used to have one exactly like it.

As to you question on the tripod, it is a Berlebach made of wood and somewhat expensive. I find it to be extremely well made and very solid. It is very useful for table top photography, table top binocular holder, and for my spotting scope when shooting long range rifles. You may find it heavy as it outweighs similar tripods made of aluminum and carbon fiber. The legs will fold out to be almost flat for low level or macro photography and it is very stable when fully extended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I answer your question you have to tell me that the orange bike above is a 10 speed touring Peugeot. For if it is, I used to have one exactly like it.

It is indeed a Peugeot... Click on photo for more details and photos.
750719050_f344dc71eb.jpg

As to you question on the tripod, it is a Berlebach made of wood and somewhat expensive. I find it to be extremely well made and very solid. It is very useful for table top photography, table top binocular holder, and for my spotting scope when shooting long range rifles. You may find it heavy as it outweighs similar tripods made of aluminum and carbon fiber. The legs will fold out to be almost flat for low level or macro photography and it is very stable when fully extended.

I did have a quick look at the Berlebach web-site and their products look to be of very high quality. While weight is a consideration, I am more concerned with length and size. I like the idea of a wood tripod, especially since I spend a lot of time along the coast and rust from salt-spray is big problem. Plus timber goes well with my cycling philosophy involving steel, leather, canvas and going slow. I am a renown 'retro-grouch' that rejects all things modern.

You mention long-range shooting, I was a benchrest shooter back in the late 80's. I still have a safe full of custom-built rifles at home. Hard to believe, I have not fired a gun in almost 8 years, when I seldom went a day without spending some time at the range for most of my of adult life prior to moving to Australia.

SRA

P. Lynn,

I had that exact same bike while I was growing up in Germany. Even down to the hard leather seat, they were the same. I still ride today on a custom made carbon frame with Dura Ace components.

I never shot bench-rest, but did shoot hight power for awhile using AR15's and M1A's alternately. I too have a safe full of safe queens as other hobbies have taken hold.

As to your leather, canvas wood approach. You have my hearty applause. I love that approach and wish you best of success.

BTW, I love Sydney. I learned to surf at Manly beach a couple of years ago.

Let me know how the tripod search concludes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom