CompactFlash Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vandyu, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I just picked up a new D70s tonight taking advantage of an opportunity to return my D50 when it started having some strange autofocus lockup problems. I'm used to SD cards, so I need your help on the CompactFlash card that bought. I've read the D70s manual and it lists the approved cards on page 192, but mine isn't listed. I wonder if the card came out after publication of the manual. The card is:
    SanDisk Ultra II 512 mb Type 1 Memory Card, model number SDCFH-512-901.

The manual lists the SanDisk SDCFH (Ultra II) only at 256 mb. However, the SDCFH (Ultra) lists a full range of sizes, including the 512.
    Will the Ultra II 512 mb work without damaging the camera?

I'm really eager to get some shooting done Sunday but don't want to use the wrong card. Thanks in advance.

2. I've been using that same card (the Sandisk Ultra II 512 mb) in my D70 since May without a problem. I use Rob Galbraith's site when looking for CF cards...http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007. Not sure whether there's a difference between the D70 and D70s, but I suspect not.

3. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Interesting that the Nikon website lists this card as approved for the D70, but not the D70s. However, on the SanDisk website it is listed as compatible. Geeze, now what to do.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I can think of no reason that a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB card would not work with A Nikon D70s. I use these cards with my D100 all the time. They are faster than my camera can keep up with. They should be plenty fast on a D70s.

Once I did have a (cheapo) 1 gig card, that was truely incompatable. It got very hot in the card reader and the camera would not recognize the card.

Put the card in, and go shoot with it.

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, I don't have a D70s, nor do I have a 512MB SD UltraII, but I do have a D70 and a 1GB SD UltraII, and it works fine - I use it all the time. The D70 works fine with the 4GB SD ExtremeIII's too.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Go for it. Card companies are changing so fast, Nikon can't list them all. Manuals are also printed months in advance of a release and rarely updated.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I agree with the other posters. Go forth and shoot. :wink:

8. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    I doubt if Nikon tests all new cards as they come out. I use the Sandisk Ultra II 512 and 1gb in the D70 with no problems.

9. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks everyone. I think it's just a case of Nikon not being up to date with evaluating all the changes in memory cards. I did bounce this question off Nikon, which has had two days to reply. So far, no response. Hope I hear from them just for the official blessing of the card. Now, got to get serious about choosing between pbase and smugmug. I know everyone has their favorite service. I'm leaning toward smugmug even though the name is a little corny.