Companion for D70?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ultimind, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I currently have the D70 but I am finding more and more that I need an additional body with me. I shoot action sports as well as nature (birds, whatever else I find on the trail while mountain biking). Plus I shoot all the basic family/friends stuff, although that generally doesn't require two bodies.

When I'm shooting bike Trials or skateboarding, I often find myself swapping between the 10.5mm fisheye and my 70-210..soon to be 80-200 F2.8. Because of the chaotic nature of these sports, it's tough to quickly and safely swap lenses having a single body.

I travel with a camera backpack and I have plenty of room for an additional body but I don't have much cash to drop on one. The D1H looks extremely tempting because of it's price (on the used market), its durability, and 5fps (for sequence shots). I know the resolution isn't anything amazing, but a good majority of my shots end up as 1024px on my Flickr page, with a select few being blown up to 8x10's for family/friends or my portfolio. I've got the amazing Alien Skin BlowUp plugin for Photoshop which does an amazing job of enlarging images when needed.

Would the D1H be a better body to look at instead of a used D50 or a D40?

2. another D70, even better, go D70s; easier to swap cameras as they operate the same.....

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    D200

(i just know Ditto is waiting for this)loolol

4. Normally, 2 of the same body would be ideal. If you to do different kinds of shooting, and you indicate you do, then a D1H or D2H might suit you.

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    One thing I'd think about, I would not hand the 80-200 off a composite body. the D1h might be a better choice if you are going to have both bodies hanging around your neck at the same time.

U. Frank had a 80-200 warp his lens mount on a D70 if I remember right.

6. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The 80-200 does seem awfully heavy to leave on my D70. That was part of my concern.

Image quality wise... is the D1H in RAW going to produce the same type of images i'm getting now from the D70?

7. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    For the web and an occasional 8x10 a D1h would be awesome. You'll find the AF in a totally different league and 5 FPS so much fun you may stop using the D70.

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    With the (hopefully) impending release of new professional bodies, I think going with a D1H now, and perhaps upgrading to a D2H once the new ones come out could be the best solution. Any thoughts?

9. yeah, I have thoughts of.....oh, wait, you meant cameras.......

10. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I use a D70s as my main body and bought a D100 for a backup. I still use the D70 the majority of the time since it works better with my flash. The D100 was cheap used. $380. It's a decent camera but I won't be using it much longer as I'm almost ready to buy a D200.