Company used my image for advertising but says "There will be no compensation"

You can't sue for copyright infringement in small claims. c Copyright is a federal issue and can only be handled in federal court.
As was noted earlier in the thread, a bill has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives that would establish a small claims court within the U.S. Copyright Office. A law making small claims pertaining to copyright infringement practical was enacted about five years ago in the U.K, so perhaps this is becoming a trend throughout the world.

As was noted earlier in the thread, a bill has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives that would establish a small claims court within the U.S. Copyright Office. A law making small claims pertaining to copyright infringement practical was enacted about five years ago in the U.K, so perhaps this is becoming a trend throughout the world.
Even if passed today, it would not help the OP.

You mentioned Google Images. I despise this theft of images from sites. I have had more than several instances where my images from Google were being used for items for sale. Thankfully, I was eventually warned of the theft by other photographers and friends familiar with my images. In each case I requested cease and desist. That worked. I also attempt to educate the thieves copyright infringement. So many people are simply clueless. Only once was I contacted by musicians to use one of my images that is viral on the internet and they offered to pay!!

I faced a similar but minor situation where a college student pulled one of my panorama photos of a downtown area from that town's Facebook group (where I had posted a lo-res color version) and used it as the header of their online historical project. This was a few years ago but I only discovered it recently via a link from the above-mentioned FB group.

I wrote the student's instructor (the only contact I could find about the project) and explained that "grad students should know better than this" (and to make typos and layout errors on their website...) and she agreed, and had even made this clear at the time.

I asked that credit be added (since there's nothing else to be gained here). I did originally get a nod on an alternate version of the Credits page but you have to go into the project sideways through a back door to find it.

As mentioned above, if we post our images online, we run the risk of someone just grabbing and reusing them (it's just so easy, as musicians have discovered). But if we don't post anything, we will never sell any...

It’s worth more than a few hundred dollars! Contact LeibowitzLawFirm.com and they will take the case on contingency and only get paid if they win. I have won many cases with them.

I have an acquaintance who does these wonderful, very modern and abstract wood wall sculptures. He was contacted by a movie studio who asked to see a portfolio of his work but then never heard back. A couple years later he was staying in a hotel for a show and turned on HBO to watch a movie and there was his work (in a totally different context) on one of the sets.

The internet certainly makes this easier (and more rampant) but loose ethical culture is not the fault of the internet.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom