Company using my image, what would you do?

I'm a big fan of Rigid lighting as well, but I agree that they should compensate you for using your shot. Kudos for taking action. Keep us posted as to the results.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Definitely contact Carolyn Wright (www.photoattorney.com) about representing you. She works on contingency. I know for a fact she has taken on some pretty large companies including internationally known soft drink and shoe companies. She knows exactly what she's doing and will work closely with you every step of the way. She is a delight to work with. She represented me and I got what I wanted.

I live on the water and take the odd Yacht photo from my living room.
On several occasions these get stolen by Yacht Brokers who use them for soliciting their product.
Here's an example of the yacht Thomas Spirit from several years ago.

http://dawhois.com/www/thomasspirit.com.html

ThomasSpirit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes sir!

grrr! why no watermarks, and if you did use it, why not paste it clear across the middle? they have a ton of free ones online to do so, even tho i am a bit skeptical about those as well! heck i aint got much great steal worthy photos, however i just now use lr4 to watermark everything automatically, just in case, plus one time someone used my cat photo for their kinda twisted same gender website that included really grotesque not normal human bedroom behavior, so needless to say i was not very happy!

subtle watermarks...

[URL]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8090/8452771006_d9b8922531_b.jpg[/url]
666 Americo.Rodriguez 2013-5 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

not so subtle and icky, but!

[URL]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8223/8401855870_bb03e92a44_b.jpg[/url]
A.Rodriguez.Photo--27 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

I actually had a watermark on the original image, the one I posted in this thread for some reason is a lot smaller. But they cropped that out anyways.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
If they removed your watermark, that is another offense in addition to unauthorized use. It violates the DMCA by removing your copyright management information. I'm telling you .. call Carolyn Wright.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get the copyright info back? I'm going to contact Carolyn after I get that stuff back.

When I copyrighted my music, it took a couple of months, Andrew. Of course, with all the budgets cuts and layoffs, it may take longer now.

Carole

Real Name
Paul
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get the copyright info back? I'm going to contact Carolyn after I get that stuff back.

I would contact her now and tell her you have the copyright details in process.

You did file it electronically then it will be shorter than if you mailed in an image. Not sure how much faster but it is. I am guessing you are going the compiled works route, or collective is what I remember it as. Either way you are filed, and either way they violated your Copyright, which you had the very second you pressed the shutter.
I would contact her now and tell her you have the copyright details in process.

Ditto. Don't delay.

I agree as well. You should be able to get a lawyer to work on a contingency basis. This is a very easy one to prove. As others have said I do not ever post anything on FB. They give themselves too many rights in regards to your photos.

As others have said I do not ever post anything on FB. They give themselves too many rights in regards to your photos.

I agree. People told me to get a Facebook page for my photography to promote it. But too many people are saying that their images have been stolen and used. I took down my photography page and removed all the images.

Carole

I agree. People told me to get a Facebook page for my photography to promote it. But too many people are saying that their images have been stolen and used. I took down my photography page and removed all the images.

Carole

+1

Real Name
Randy
espn did the same thing to me, 1 image for 1 website
after i contacted them they offered their normal payment, $50
I said you already bought the pic but forgot to agree on a price so the price is now $500.....they eventually paid after the paperwork

As I see it the only thing that you should have on FB is a link to your dedicated site. Mine only has a photo of the concrete pump I used to operate in Arizona. It is not like anyone is beating down my page for that image.

Latest threads

Top Bottom