Compaq any good?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Kerry Pierce, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    The latest Office Depot ad has an el cheapo Compaq computer & printer for under $300 after rebates.

I certainly can't build one that cheap and my wife needs something just to check email, do a little web surfing and play solitaire. No heavy lifting at all. This seems like a very nice solution for that, assuming that it isn't junk and will quit in 90 days....

Anybody out there using these cheap Compaq systems and like them?

Thanks!

2. Kerry, first of, Compaq has been sold to HP since 5-6 years in an M&A attempt to strengthen its position in the PC market.

To my eyes, Compaq was far better than HP in built quality and innovation. Compaq named PCs offer by HP (ie HP laptop Compaq nx series) are far better products than lets say Pavilion series.

Although you didn't provide us with any specs, I would go for it for the use you described.

3. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks for the info, Panos. :biggrin: In the old days, I always shied away from Compaq, because of their proprietary motherboards and such.

Today, it seems like their offerings are always cheaper than the others, so it's rather a surprise that the cheaper model would be better than the more expensive models from HP.

The system I cited only has 512k ram, which probably isn't enough for Vista. I'd put another 512 stick in it and a network card.

4. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

Im on my second compaq in the last two years the first was a mid level desk top
    and now i'm on a high low end note book, both have been excellent I throw everything at them from full dvd burns and processing batch files ..

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks, Dave. I'm gonna look at this one real hard. I want to keep the war dept. happy, but saving a few bucks while doing so is certainly a bonus. :biggrin:

6. I own a Compaq Presario and have had no problems at all. The monitor that came with it burned out after about a year, but I am on the computer a lot. I replaced the monitor with a ViewSonic brand and it made a big difference. But overall, I have been very happy with the Compaq.

7. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    hmm vista would put additional 1.5 gig ram in
    1 gig bare min for vista

8. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks for the input, Rick and Lowolf. :biggrin:

Glad to hear that you've been happy with your Compaqs, Rick. :smile:

Dunno that she'll need 2gigs of ram for what she will be doing. Playing solitaire and reading email just isn't a big deal. I suspect that the 512 would prolly be enough for her, but adding 512 wouldn't be too expensive and might smooth things out, less disk thrashing. But, compared to the system she is currently happy with, this thing will seem like a rocket. :biggrin:

9. I'd wait till SP2 for Vista though... :rolleyes:

10. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    heh, you're probably quite wise with that advice. :biggrin: :biggrin:

11. I'm using a Mac now, but in years past I had two different Compaq laptops and really liked them very much. A friend is still using one of them and it's going strong! :smile:

As far as considering a new desktop Compaq now and adding RAM: YES!!! Aside from what Windows itself will require (especially VISTA, if the new machine comes with that) she will need more RAM to accommodate the extra strain that virus protection software and a software firewall (if you use that) will put on the system.... Don't stint on the RAM; the benefits will far outweigh the costs, especially in this era of inexpensive memory.

12. I have been running Vista for a long time during the beta period, over 1.5 years.... No crashes at all even during beta. It is much safer then XP, Runs well with 1 GB for Office use. No need to add more then that for the use you describe. My wife is running Vista with 1 GB and is very pleased and she is a Professional writer, quite a heavy user.

That said a well configured XP machine with AV and a firewall upgraded to Service pack 2 with automatic updates, will do quite well too.

As for Compaq they are now the cheap brand of HP. Neither Compaq nor HP have fared well in PC magazines big test of user satisfaction. Seems to me though that HP's building better machines now then te used to, so why not try the price is right make sure you can return it if it doesnt work :rolleyes:

13. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks Connie and Andreas! Good thoughts and info. :biggrin: