Comparable lens...??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DebbieZ, Aug 19, 2008.

1. DebbieZ

DebbieZ

Feb 27, 2007
    Oregon
    A friend has a Cannon 5D. I love the pet shots that she gets with her 20mm 2.8. Which Nikon lens could give me comparable shots on my D300? I am still trying to understand the difference when it comes to full frames and how that will affect the outcome. I know that Nikon makes a 20mm 2.8, but am not sure how it will differ on my camera. The shots are taken fairly close-up, so the features are a little bent, sort of like what a fisheye does, but not that much.

BTW....I am fairly new to all of this, so sorry if my questions are a little odd!!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

DebbieZ

2. Debbie, I think Nikon's 14-24 2.8 is a state of the art lens, that in some reviewers' opinions replaces several primes. If you can afford it you will have, arguably, the best 14, 20 and 24mm 2.8 primes (and all the shades in between) Nikon has ever made (and a lens that Canon users envy, I hear)...

3. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    You might consider Sigma's 10-20. It's slower than 2.8, but it's also wider if you need it. Many of us love this lens for what it can do.

Also Nikon's 10.5 f2.8 fisheye can be a lot of fun with pets. I just bought one this week, so haven't had much use of it, but here's one of my dogs and the first picture just playing with it.

[​IMG]