Compare 35-70/2.8 to 35/2 & 50/1.4

My last post about which lenses to bring to a rainforest family vacation was too complicated. So help me obsess with just one decision at a time:

Leaving the wide end and the long end out of the picture for the moment, which would serve me best (walkaround family, town and nature pix):

35-70/2.8 AFD (I have) - takes great pix, probably more weather sealed than the other lenses, but heavy and only f/2.8

35/2 AFD (don't have) + 50/1.4 AFD (I have) - Can someone who has both tell me - HOW DOES THE 35/2 COMPARE WITH THE 35MM IN THE 35-70? These are lighter and faster than the 35-70, but probably not as weather sealed, nor as convenient as a zoom. (I also have a 24/2.8 AF, but don't love it.)

Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 (don't have, but see good things in this forum) - Light and convenient, but probably the worst build of these lenses, f/2.8

N

Nuteshack

i shot with a 50f2 on film for years so the 35f2 on my d50 wasa natural for me...love it..;-)

I realize this isn't what you asked, but my solution to a similar dilema was to add the 35/f1.4 AIS to the 35-70/f2.8 AFD. (And I have a 50/f1.4 also.) I can't speak to the 35/f2 but the 1.4 is stunningly sharp at f/4-f/11 - clearly better than the 35-70/f2.8, which is a statement - and entirely usable even wide open. I am told that the AIS is sharper at f/2 than the AFD is at f/2, but I am only repeating what I've heard. It's possible though, as f/2 is pretty decent.

The 35/f1.4 is built like the pyramids - if you're in trouble using it as a weapon is entirely feasible. :biggrin:

I am using some of the lenses mentioned above and I am pretty happy with them.
The Nikkor 35-70 is my walkaround lens on the F5, and a supersharp portrait lens on the D200 (even if my favorite is the 85mm 1.8) - very sharp and highly recommended.
I also use the 35f2 and 35f1.4 AIS. I prefer the 35f2, because the 1.4 suffers from serious CA/purple fringing fully open (high contrast areas). If there are no high contrast areas in the picture, the 35f1.4 is a fantastic low light general purpose lens. When I want top quality, I usually take on of those 35mm lenses and I close down to f8.
The last one, my favorite walkaround on the D200, is the Tamron 17-50 2.8, supersharp, excellent performer (at least my copy), but relatively cheap build.
The only general comment I have is that none of those lenses are weathersealed. The risk might be limited with the Tamron (lot of plastic) or one of the primes. The pumping mechanism of the 35-70 might be a potential problem in a rainy environment...

I've never had any issues with either the 35-70 or the 35/f1.4 AIS even in very wet environments. The push-pull mechanism doesn't draw in any more (or any less) outside material than any other zoom mechanism.

Real Name
Chris
Since you have the 35-70, I'll bet it will work lots better than the 35mm you don't have. Plus think about all the jungle junk that won't get inside your camera everytime you don't take the lens off!

not to hijack but has there ever been a thread about which lens are weather sealed? the only one I know of is the 18-70.

which wouldnt be a bad lens to take as its light, cheap, and a very good range to have. albeit a stop slower than your 35-70.

Thanks for the thoughts....

Good point about how not having to change lenses is its own kind of weatherproofing. Maybe I'll bring the 35-70 for general purpose and my 50/1.2 AIS for very low light needs.

Slappomatt - As the result of your post, I did a quick web search about weather sealed Nikkors. I came up with a couple of DPReview threads suggesting that NO Nikkors are weather sealed. That there may be a rubber gasket to seal the connection between lens and camera, but that the lenses themselves aren't weather proof. It could be though that the blind are leading the blind over there.

We should get Roland (RVink) to weigh in on this.

DAB

R

Removed User 2

Weather sealed lenses is a Canon-Hollywood-Disneyland invention.

Latest threads

Top Bottom