Comparing AVI to MOV files

This past weekend I was a second shooter on a wedding. The person I was shooting for wanted me to shot with his Canon 7D. Both he and I have been life long Nikon shooters. He bought the Canon bc it records on MOV and he edits from there. Nikon AVI needs to be convert to MOV. I believe he said he takes his MOV files off camera card into aperture and clips what he needs.

He has been a professional photographer / Commercial Videographer for +20 years. I know he owns all the professional softwares, he said the 7D was best. No converting AVI to MOV and less time and less to store. We both work from the MAC platform

What is Nikons thought for having AVI files?

My thought of the Canon 7D, it was OK. Focus (Live view) was slow as hell and I could not get use to that. (D700 is snap focus and click got what I needed for a still) I shot on AWB, manual ISO 100-800, Shutter speed 30th - 200th, F2.8-3.2 with a 24-70L. Several time I wanted to zoom in and I was stuck on Nikon brained just the opposite. At the reception I handed him back the 7D and started shooting my D700 felt right at home. I'm still washing the smell of Canon off my hands :(
I viewed 30 clips I they were good. Mono pod with a Kirk head would have been idea.

He probably converts so he can use it in Final Cut, right? I use the D7000 files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and there's no conversion needed. I don't think the file format matters - all that does matter is that the D7000 now uses B-frames in the compression.

A friend of mine shoots commercials and short films for a living - his 7D footage looks choppy in FCP on a MacPro, while my D7000 footage is smooth as butter in Premiere Pro. He lost money on a couple of instructional video shoots last year because he spent so much on new hardware trying to stay in a Mac/FCP workflow like the other companies on the shoot were using.

Sean

He probably converts so he can use it in Final Cut, right? I use the D7000 files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and there's no conversion needed. I don't think the file format matters - all that does matter is that the D7000 now uses B-frames in the compression.

A friend of mine shoots commercials and short films for a living - his 7D footage looks choppy in FCP on a MacPro, while my D7000 footage is smooth as butter in Premiere Pro. He lost money on a couple of instructional video shoots last year because he spent so much on new hardware trying to stay in a Mac/FCP workflow like the other companies on the shoot were using.

Sean

the difference is what Sean is talking about, AVI has keyframes in the file, the MOV builds them on the fly while playing back, makes for smaller files.

While out of camera the AVI's from a Nikon D3s, D300s, D90 will play smoother (because of the above statement), the MOV files from the canon's/D7000 should be converted to apple prores so the computer does not have to compute the files on the fly and can then edit quickly.

The reason Nikon went with the AVI file format *this is from a Nikon tech representative* Is that AVI is the only file format currently accepted in all court rooms because of the above mentioned keyframe deal. Since Nikon holds 80% of the forensic market share they decided to go with this file system....again this is their explanation not mine.

The MOV files are definitely superior, the canons are superior because a lot of the models have different frame rates across the resolutions and also manual audio levels on 3 or 4 cameras. They also now have a color preset made by technicolor that allows the incoming video to be shot extremely flat to gather more data than thought possible which is priceless when shooting in higher contrast situations.

The D5100 and D7000 are getting closer and closer but still a step or two behind sadly

great info guys, thank you

I hope in the near future Nikon is able to equal or pass Canons videos edge currently
To own a Canon is not in my thought process, now I have to wash my hand again bc I typed the "C" word. LOL

.AVI and .MOV are containers that can hold many different types of video codecs. They can range from uncompressed to highly compressed with different quality standards. They can contain low quality SD or high quality HD depending on the codec.

AVI was introduced by Microsoft with Video for Windows.
MOV was introduced by Apple with QuickTime.

When I use Final Cut Pro 7 I usually convert AVI to ProRes 422 using Apple Compressor. This produces a huge file but it's the best possible solution for retaining the best quality. MOV can also be converted to ProRes 422 so that the timeline in Final Cut Pro is not mixing file formats if you have video from two different cameras like Canon and Nikon. Storage can become a problem using ProRes 422 because of file size.

I prefer using Sony Vegas Pro 10 because it can handle many different formats on the timeline without the need to convert or render the video. Vegas is the main reason I installed Windows 7 64 bit on my Mac Pro because Vegas is Windows only. It can handle both AVI and MOV without a problem.

If you mix photos and video in Final Cut Pro, many times you still need to render the photos and many of the transitions need to render before you can see the results. Vegas will accept anything you throw at it and there is no need to render the timeline. I own and use both but I refer Vegas for that reason.

My Iphone 3Gs Video records in .MOV files :)

I hope Japan is recovering with all their disasters and will resume their R & D on the D700 replacement.

I went to a NPS event at UCLA with a Sport illustrated photographer guest speaking
http://www.billfrakes.com/
He had someone hack his D3s video and modify the audio in.
Check the multimedia links

This one is great....

http://strawhatvisuals.com/main.php#/Short%20Films/Dawn%20to%20Derby/1

another great video
http://strawhatvisuals.com/main.php#/Short Films/Tank Johnson/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom