Comparison of the 12-24mm and 18-55mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bennettskaya, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
  2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I can't tell any difference from those shots?

Are they 100% crops? It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like it. I find its better to take test shots with newspaper text or something with fine detail, as with the smooth surface of a pear, differences will be slim.

3. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Yes they are at 100%

Hi Weiran,

Thank you for the observation.

It may not be too clear from the shots but if you look at the bottom left of the screenshots you will see that the images are indeed at 100%.

I agree that newsprint makes a good test target for sharpness test.

I think though that the pear that I used for a target has detail, and it is a more natural subject for a shot, and you would have thought that if the sharpness differences between the two lenses was great, that it would have showed up in this test. But as you say, you cannot see any differences between the shots, and neither can I!

And bearing in mind that the 'accepted' view is that one should view at 25% to see what a print -even at maximum size for the pixels - will look like, I think one would have to agree that in a print one would not see any perceived differences; and all the more so if one cannot see differences at 100%.

4. It appears to me that you just proved both lenses produce nice results at similar settings. I still don't understand the point of the test, comparing a 12-24 to a dissimilar 18-55. Please help!

5. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Dear Mike,
    I have a D200 and one of the lenses I tend to use on it is the 12-24mm.

I bought the D40 for casual trips where I didn't want the weight of the bigger camera. On the D200 I tend to use the 12-24mm at 24mm because I like the angle of view, and therefore the 18-55mm and 12-24mm 'meet' for me at 24mm. Hence the test.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  6. TippCity

TippCity Guest

I sold my 12-24 in Dec07...with a 14-24 now on the way.

In between I have been using the 18-55 as a temp replacement for wide shots, and the 85mm 1.4 for all other shots.

The 12-24 was sharp and produced usable pictures at all most all f-stops and focal lengths. But the 18-55 is only usable at f8 and above on all focal lengths for me.

Hope the 14-24 performs as needed, and I will be ready for FF bodies for the fall colors.