Compatibility and recommendations for high speed photography trigger system.

I am new to the world of high speed flash photography. I am looking to take high speed shots of some objects being dropped in a splash tank against black background, much like a food photographers set up. I need to purchase a trigger and am looking at the Miops Smart trigger system as it has many different ways to trigger and I want to use both sound and laser. The Miops looks to be a pretty versatile system, which is good because I would like to expand the applications in the future.

My equipment:

Z6
70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR ED
SB 800 & SB600

1 Large Aquarium 30" x 18" x 12"

What I know I'll need:
Miops Smart trigger with Dongle for iphone
Black Backdrop and stands
Black Table cloth
Laser pointer

What I'm unsure if I need:
More powerful strobes?
TTL1 Pocket Wizard
TT5 Flex
Any other recommendations to add to the list.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've successfully used the MIOPS Mobile Remote for a few years mostly to release the shutter using a voice command when both of my hands are being used. I also used the motion-activated shutter release to capture popcorn dropping into the scene. That's the earlier version of the product they now call MIOPS RemotePlus. It's similar to MIOPS Smart though not designed for the really high-speed stuff. You may only need the less expensive RemotePlus, though I wouldn't know without checking out the details again.

I purchased the MIOPS Splash and didn't get around to using it until nine months later. The hardware was defective. They quickly sent me another unit that was the later version. Its hardware also didn't work properly but had different symptoms. They quickly provided a full refund. I really do think the hardware issues were an anomaly. Regardless, their customer support through the entire process was very cordial, quick and efficient.

Last edited:
What I'm unsure if I need:
More powerful strobes?
TTL1 Pocket Wizard
TT5 Flex
I don't know how much power you'll need, but I do know that you can use the SB800 mounted to the hot shoe to optically control the SB600. Settings will have to be configured on the SB800, not the camera. I think it allows two off-camera groups.

You could instead mount an SU 800 to the hot shoe to optically control both the SB800 and the SB600. That would allow three off-camera groups (in case you add other flash units and want more than two groups). Settings would have to be configured on the SU800, not the camera.

If it's important to configure the settings on the camera rather than the device in the hot shoe, you could mount the SB500. That controls two off-camera groups.

I would think that line-of-sight type of control would be fine in your studio environment. If it's not, you can plug a WR-R10 into the terminal on the camera and fire the external flashes using radio control. That device would also allow you to configure settings on the camera. However, radio support is available from Nikon only if you use SB5000 flash units.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies Palouse and Mike.

When I bought the z6, there seemed to be some lack of compatibilty with some of the TTL features of the sb800 and 600. If I can use them with full control, that would be awesome, as I don't want to break the bank on this.

As I will dropping larger objects in the tank, I'm thinking the SB800 and SB600 may not be enough power, but not sure. The objects will be roughly the size of a grapefruit. I'm thinking of the Miops for the laser trigger so as to trigger the flash around the time it hits the water. I know the trigger delay is adjustable which is awesome. I'm thinking of mounting the miops off camera so I'm not constrained when positioning the laser and trigger. I suppose that means getting a cable extension.

I'm not sure what the dependencies are for the flashes. So here's what I think happens. The object falls and when it breaks the laser to the Miops unit, the miops sends a signal to the flashes to fire and at the same time releases the camera shutter?

When I bought the z6, there seemed to be some lack of compatibilty with some of the TTL features of the sb800 and 600.
That may be true. Notice that I didn't discuss compatibility regarding TTL. That's because I haven't studied up on it.

I should have mentioned that the stuff that I mentioned is documented in the manual and that I don't have my Z6 yet.

Sorry that I keep overlooking your comments and have to post in separate posts.

I'm thinking of mounting the miops off camera so I'm not constrained when positioning the laser and trigger. I suppose that means getting a cable extension.
I recommend that you not bother doing that until you determine that you actually have a problem in need of a solution; you may not have any issues.

Sorry that I keep overlooking your comments and have to post in separate posts.

I recommend that you not bother doing that until you determine that you actually have a problem in need of a solution; you may not have any issues.
Love your portfolio Mike. Your lighting is terrific.

You could instead mount an SU 800 to the hot shoe to optically control both the SB800 and the SB600. That would allow three off-camera groups (in case you add other flash units and want more than two groups). Settings would have to be configured on the SU800, not the camera.
I'm posting this at an ungodly hour just momentarily before going to bed, so I'll be brief:

I posted the above a couple weeks ago after reading my notes about something I had understood from reading the Z6/Z7 manual. I just now read it again and came away with the same understanding. However, moments before double checking that information, I saw in Thom Hogan's guide to using the two cameras that he says the SU800 is not compatible with the Z6 or Z7. So, the reality at this moment is that I have no idea!

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. No worries. My Miops smart remote arrived yesterday and I purchased a sb700. The sb800 will drive the 700. I’m currently setting up the gear, so should have some shots taken tomorrow. I’ve set up a laser I had for leveling paintings, so looks like I’m good to go.

My Miops smart remote arrived yesterday
I hope you enjoy using your MIOPS Smart Remote. Coincidentally, I got out my MIOPS Remote just yesterday to test it with the Z6 and it worked fine. I haven't had a need to use it in quite awhile and at the moment still don't have a photo in mind that will require using it. I'm confident you'll enjoy using your MIOPS Smart+ and I really look forward to seeing your high-speed stop-action photos!

Ok, so I'm having some issues with my speedlites and not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been going around in circles and getting pretty frustrated.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've set up my Miops trigger with laser activation. I've got the cable going from the unit into my SB800. It's set up off camera, as Master with M and 1/64 power, channel 1 group A. It fires without issue.

I have 2 other flashes SB 600 and SB 700 both have been set up in Chanel 1 Group A. ( i only need a second remote flash, but the test hasn't worked with either) both off camera and in remote mode. Neither one is firing and not sure why? I am using a slow shutter speed on the camera and am using the laser trigger to fire the flashes. There is nothing obstructing the flashes from each other. Any suggestions on what my settings should be?

Thank you kindly!

Jonathan

When I use the flash fire button on the back of my SB800, both the other flashes fire after a slight delay. I imagine the delay is used to confirm they are triggering one another.

Thanks Jonathan, but I did look into this before I finally purchased the Miops trigger. I need a laser trigger, which miops has, and I already had 2 nikon flashes the SB600 and 800. which work well together. The issue seems to be they aren't working properly when off camera. I'm not in a position to run off and plonk down $1000 plus for another flash set up.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom