COMPLETE setup for diving

My sister found a complete setup for a Nikon camera at a sale. It's in a big blue fiberglass case, has a rechargeable light, the handles, adapters for manual focus lenses, Seconic light meter, you name it, it's in there somewhere.

It appears to be for a completely manual camera, as there is a big knob with gears on it to focus the lens, another big knob to change the aperture, and a third for shutter speed.

I told her to try to contact the company that made it to find out the model it's for, as the knobs and buttons would have to match up exactly for it to work.

Everything about the setup is built like a tank... what's something like this worth? I know what she bought it for (and that's what I'll be taking it off of her hands for lol ) but I probably won't keep it longer than playing with it for a bit.

Is it worth anything more than just curiosity?

*ETA* It's made by Oceanic Products, the casing says "Hydro 35" evidently the TOP of the line... in 1968 when it first came out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put my D300s in a forty-year old case.

As a minimum test for water-tightness, blow up the pressure valve, put it in a bathtub full of water--without camera, of course--and see if there are any air bubbles coming off. If there are, stop right there.

Bruce

i'd be testing it somewhat deeper than in a bathtub before even considering using it.

take it down to 10-15m and see if there are bubbles coming out of it.

it may well be perfectly serviceable, just needing some new O-ring seals and a little grease.

then again, it might be completely shot and utterly useless.

I have no interest in using it, past maybe in a pool. I don't dive - after a jelly fish incident when I was 12, I don't even get in the ocean.

I don't have a camera that will fit into it, though I'm pretty sure that I can get someone to test it empty at some depth.

My guess is that it's for the Nikon F or, maybe, the Nikkormat FS or FTn. More likely the Nikon F, since why would you buy a super-expensive housing to shoot with a lesser model.

See the following page for the Nikon models available at that time:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/slr6568.htm

I agree. This was top top top of the line when it was produced, so if you could afford it, you were probably shooting with an equally "top" camera.

I know we have a few "film people" around... I didn't know if anyone would be interested in checking out something like this.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom