Composite Snowy Egret

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Mike Warren, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Gale kindly let me use one of her wonderful Snowy Egret pictures as the subject of a composite. The waterfall background is on the Atherton tablelands about a hour from where I live.

Added water using Flaming Pear Flood Filter and did some PWL and colour work. Also painted some mist and blended a blurred version of the background at low opacity.

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That is a great image, Mike. I don't know how long it took to create, but it was worth every minute. A perfect image to hang on a wall.

3. Thanks Frank. It took about 3 to 4 hours. A lot of that time was spent trying thing that didn't work out. I was just having fun. :smile:

4. Beautiful :smile: and inspiring !!

5. Thanks for looking Mike.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks so great Mike..
    you work is superb for sure..

Glad to contribute to your great talent.

7. Stunning image!! :smile:

8. Very Nice!! Looks like an "Snowy Egret Fantasy"

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Mike

Love that - it is superb - has a sort of mystical feel to it.

Great to see you posting here.

Very best wishes

Ray

10. Wow, this is great, Mike! Beautiful work! Gale, that's a pretty nice Snowy Egret too!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. Very impressive.

It might just be me, but the light on the egret looks way different than the light in the background. When I first saw the image, my immediate response was "why isn't the egret whiter, especially in the highlights on the shoulders". The egret looks under-exposed.

Any chance you could try lightening the egret to see what it looks like? Hope you held onto all your layers!

Anyway, nit aside, you did a tremendous job on the water and mist.

12. Thanks Gale, Diane, Ann, Ray, Virginia.

Bed time for me now. It's 2:40am. Gale, I'll leave the upload running. Yousendit will send you an email when it is ready.

13. Hi Rory,

Thanks for looking. I actually added a levels layer the the egret to tone it down a bit. :biggrin:

Yes, there are plenty of layers in this. I like to leave my options open. I'll lighten the egret tomorrow and post... unless Gale wants to have a play with it?

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    No Mike you play :>)))
    I havent a clue what i am doing...

Rest well ...

15. You should have a play anyway. Change the colours or even just the opacity of the various layers. You never know what you might come up with. If you want to know anything about what, how or why with the file, just ask.

16. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Unreal Mike, you are a master of the creation :)

17. Wow. Thanks John. I think I still have a long way to go. :smile:
    -Mike

18. Hey Mike, your image kicks butt for sure. Beautiful.

19. Thanks Gordon. :biggrin:

20. New Edit

Is this new version any better? Or is it just different?

[​IMG]