Computer advert pop-up blocker. Off Topic

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, May 18, 2005.

1. Sorry about this but I need help. I use AOL Broadband and a fortnight ago somebody highjacked my screen name and sent out a whole load of spam emails. I stopped it within 24 hours by changing my passwords but since then I have been plagued with pop-ups from a company called AURORA . In fact I have 2 know waiting to surface when I finish this posting.

I have tried some spyware but it totally screwed up AOL and some firewalls like NORTON really cause problems with Microsoft Word etc.
    Has anybody got any recommendations for me in the UK.

Many Thanks

Bob F.

2. I use ZoneAlarmPro, and I don't let any software 'call home' unless I specifically want updates (this wd stop the problems with MS Word). ZA stops all popups. This sounds like you might have some spyware inside, there are various programs for this but sounds like AOL doesn't like them.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Try this site for info

I did a web search and found several "fixes". Go to this URL, and read the several posts and replies, that show how to get rid of "Aurora".

http://forums.techguy.org/t353320.html

If you want to find more, use Google (or other search) and search for: Aurora pop up

Good luck......

4. I use a combination of Zonelab suite and Webroot Spy Sweeper. The latter checks my entire system every day. I've given up on Symantec; they're too big. Every thing you need from them always winds up spending a half-hour through useless, inappropriate web pages.

Zonelab absolutely locks down your outputs.

Some time back my P4 slowed down so much it was terrible. With task manager open cpu usage would cycle to 100% every 5 seconds or so and the mouse would freeze. I installed spy sweeper and it found literally hundreds of "bots" installed in my registry and all over the place.

I won't comapre what I use to other packages as I'm not the right person. However I am very comfortable with these two packages. ZL suite is about $69.00 a year (including virus protection) and Spysweeper can be bought for $29.00 with a year's subscription.

Rich

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

From what I gathered, perusing the web, none of the commercial programs can get rid of "Aurora" if you are already "infected".

This is common for this sort of problem. Once in a while there are special removal tools for specific "infections" when they are widespread, but there is none for this one.

Several commercial blockers will block it from infecting you if they are kept updated....

The executable file that is doing the "damage" is Nail.exe, and the info I found on removal will do it - but you have to remove it manually.

Let me know how it works out.....

6. Thanks Rich and Ken.

Ken, I had come to the same conclusion but because I am computer illiterate I have not a clue how to find, let alone remove it manually. If you have the time and inclination then send me the instructions as a PM. This will save cluttering up the 'cafe.' However, please bear in mind that I am an old fa*t who is really rubblsh at anything to do with computers.

BW. Bob F.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A O HELL is what we call it in the tech field.

Can you change ISP.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I agree with Rich on ZoneAlarm - never had any trouble and two of my PC's are online 24/7 since last summer. I'm using the Pro version on my work laptop and my main home PC, while another laptop and a PC are protected via the free ZoneAlarm version, which is as good as pro in the firewall domain (doesn't have the antivirus).

Also, if you have several PCs at home connected to the Internet, consider a router with builtin firewall. I have recently installed a wireless router which also pretty much blocks the hackers and unsolicited incoming traffic. Nevertheless, I always run a personal firewall software (like ZoneAlarm) on each PC - just to be save - since they work on an application level (i.e. in ZoneAlarm you get a popup window when an application/program tries to access the Internet, and you can allow or stop it from connecting to the outside world).

I don't know the Webroot Spysweeper. I'm using both Adaware and Spybot. Both can be dowloaded for free, with free updates. If you should use them, pay attention to the notes and suggestions given in Spybot regarding backup, as they may remove entries from your system registry (usually made by some spyware, but to be on the safe side, back up the stuff before changing anything, as it says in the instructions).

Hope you get rid of the spyware/malware!

9. I do use Spybot, and I normally find it perfectly adequate. However this Aurora plague is a real beauty and whoever designed it knows that it is the very devil to stop.

BW. Bob F.

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Sounds like a real plague. Hope Ken's advice & link can help.

11. You might also like to consider downloading a popup stopper, such as the one from Panicware. It's free. If you want to allow a legitimate popup you just hold down the control key when you click the link. Otherwise it just doesn't allow them to open. I know the damage is already done now, but it might help in future.

A combination of Zonealarm, Norton/AVG, Adaware, Spybot and Popup stopper have kept my PC safe for some years now.

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The type of pop-ups that are occurring due to Aurora/Nail.exe cannot be controlled by the pop-up blockers because there was a program installed that is running from the Windows Registry that is causing them.

Likewise, anti-virus software won't stop the "infection" occurring because the delivery method that was used "tricks" the user into allowing the installation!

This type of issue can only be fixed manually, by editing the Registry, then finding and removing the program file, which is hidden.

These days users have to be extra vigilant and be very careful about allowing installation of programs from a source that is not certified. No matter how innocuous the download may seem, it can contain these programs!