Computer of the future ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Julien, May 30, 2007.

1. Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Some of you might remember Jeff Han's multi touch technology. Well Microsoft seems to take great interest in it too and I have to admit that this is more than appealing even if it's not for next month.

Imagine the possiblities for us photographers ... :866:
  2. kevin.sinn

kevin.sinn Guest

WOW! That is simply incredible. I want one!

3. moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    And at "5-10 thousand dollars" it's even cheaper than the original Apple Lisa!

(But will it fit in a backpack with two bodies and 8 lenses :wink:)
  4. Too amazing for words to describe. I need to show this video to some people at work. They can actually use this kind of tech right now!!
  5. nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Very cool. Great way to keep the common cold in circulation. :eek:
  6. jasonlawton

jasonlawton Guest

I think wow is all i can say to this!!!!!!
  7. F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    WOW that is cool
  8. DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'm skeptical. Just imagine bluescreening a table!

All jokes aside, I'd be concerned about the price tag. If it's too high, this will turn into nothing more than a tool for rich people and large businesses.
  9. As with all emerging technology, the pricing will come down over time and the utility will increase by orders of magnatude... very cool indeed.
  10. Personally, I am not keen on touch screens and such; some of us don't have great hand-eye coordination and I am quite happy using a mouse! I really hope that touch screen technology does not become our only option for computer use in the future.
  11. pitythefool

pitythefool Guest

How can a mouse help with poor hand-to-eye coordination? Surely it's the same movement! :biggrin:

BBC had an article on this here:
  12. Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I agree with Phil. I mean it's way more natural to move something around on the screen with your finger ( and therefore your finger is actually moving the object that's under your finger ) rather than moving an on screen cursor with a mouse : moving the mouse forward means the cursor goes up ... it's not all that natural if you think about it.

That multitouch technology means that you'll be able to manipulate virtual ojbects like you would real ones and in a totally intuitive way if you ask me :cool:
  13. I dunno.....guess I've been using a mouse so many years now that it is natural to me! I do know that the few times I've needed to use a touch screen it has NOT felt comfortable!
  14. Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    OK, time for a grumpy reply. I'd be happier if Mr Gate's Corporation got Vista working first. I've just retro fitted XP to my laptop and PC. Now they are working away happily, previously I was back in the mland of the living dead.

I must get out more.............:biggrin:
  15. Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    The first rule of Microsoft.....touch nothing til SP1. :biggrin:
  16. GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York

Man, I first saw this stuff in action when Ridley Scott released Blade Runner in 1982.
  17. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

Thats a great idea i want one for my place at least the family wont miss as much when im playing on the cpu..
  18. One word: iMac. I switched last October from Windows to Mac OS -- one of the best moves (after buying my D200) that I've made in the last 12 months...
  19. OH ROB. I thought that you would have known by now that here in Cornwall we do not try out any new technology until at least 5 years after everybody else in the UK. It is called doing it DRECKLY. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I think that you are right about this, but here in the UK we are not as well served and therefore changing one's OS is quite difficult, otherwise a lot more of us would have done it by now.

I read this as well. Quite informative.

Bob F.