computer problem solved (switching on )

For some time I have been having a small problem when pushing the start button on my computer. I have had to push it several times before it would power up. First thought was the connection from the switch to the motherboard had worked loose, so unplugged checked and put the connection plug back. Already tested the switch
This didn't fix the problem, so next step was to check the startup program in windows 7 , all settings looked ok, so this by now had me confused as to what it might be.

Just before I posted this the mouse packed up,ie no light on it and no cursor movement on the screen. Tried it in a couple of USB ports still dead as a dodo. Got another spare mouse out and plugged it in and the computer seems to switch on with no problem. So somehow it looks as if the now fail mouse had an affect on how the computer started up

So something to watch out for if it happens on your computer,

Wow, great timing! I'm having the exact same problem - and have started keeping the computer on 24/7 instead of shutting it off, as a preventative measure. I never would have guessed that a faulty mouse could cause this.

I suspected the on-off switch, since the power supply was already replaced not too long ago.

Good to know!

Thanks!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It could be coincidence, I'm not convinced. The initial power on would start fans and lights before any devices are detected. And I don't see how a faulty USB device could drain enough power to prevent adequate voltage to the main system.

My guess is the faulty mouse interrupted the computer power on circuits somehow, I am not that tech minded. The faulty mouse was by sweetex and I have since tried an advent and a labtec mouse and no problem at all.
Te PU is an AX750 so no way overworked as it is amply big enough for the computer, if it was a miserly 350w one then maybe I would look at replacing it.
I would be interested if this solution sorted out Berts problem as well.
I too don't understand why it caused the computer to not start but it did

Ordered new AX 760 PU should be here this afternoon as now I often have to "fiddle" with the on/off switch on the 750 PU itself, maybe a bad connection???? We built the computer about 5 years ago so know what is in it component wise. I have been swatting up on the AX750 on other forums and a few people have had different problems with it such as not switching on etc. Even Corsair are saying the 760 is a lot better so I shall see.

Some CPU's pause to load new micro-code, especially if you are OC'ing.
This looks and sounds like the power button was momentary as the power comes up for just a faction of a second and shuts back down....then restarts 3-5 seconds later.
Very annoying and understandably disturbing.
Not saying this is your problem for sure, but might be......

OK AX760 PU now installed and problem solved. Shut down and started up several times and worked every time in short succession. Not overclocking that is set to auto in Bios.

So now seeing what Corsair will come up with having sent details and asked for a return ticket as it has a 7 year warranty
Searching around on the net forums this has happened often before according to different forum members

Latest threads

Top Bottom