Computer Upgrade

Real Name
Andy
Quick update on my Mac upgrade. I decided to return the Mac mini with the 8GB M1 chip and the 512GB SSD in favor of one with a 2TB SSD. This matches the capacity of my older MBP so that my workflow can be the same on both machines. While I was at it, I opted for the 16GB M1 chip. It took awhile for the new mini to be built and shipped, but it did arrive before I had to return the old one, so migration was achieved Mac to Mac - very fast and easy.

Performance is excellent. Geekbench 5 numbers for the machines were basically identical which is to say they were excellent. Post processing functions are smooth as silk, with edits rendering to screen with essentially no waiting.

BTW, if anyone is noticing input device difficulty with M1 (many users report connection issues and laggy performance with Bluetooth keyboards and mice on the Apple Silicon machines), I did spend quite a bit of time troubleshooting that issue. LMK if you want any tips.

According to Mac Rumors, there is a "fix" for that BT issue coming from Apple pretty soon.....probably the next software update to Big Sur.

I've been fortunate, I haven't had any issues with my BT mouse on my new M1 machine at all -- the one time I did it was simply because the device had run out of juice, which I hadn't noticed! When it stopped functioning my first thought was, "oh, no, that BT problem!" but then I checked the mouse's battery level and....aha! Simple fix, just plug the thing in and let her charge up again!

I don't use a BT keyboard with the new machine, but I had been concerned that since the new machine sits on a small stand very close to and adjacent to my main computer workstation, which has the 2018 MBP with its Apple BT Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse II that there might be some interference with the Magic Mouse II on the new machine, but thankfully that hasn't been a problem. People who use wireless ear buds or Air Pods have reported problems, though. I have wired headphones that I use occasionally and they've been fine with the new machine.

Congratulations on going with the greater capacity storage and RAM! When I bought my M1 MBP I went with 1 TB, as I have that in my 2018 MBP, and because I always feel that one can never have too much RAM I went with 16 GB. If they'd had 32 GB RAM available I would've gone with that, since I have it in the 2018 machine. Actually, though, the 16 GB is very quick and nimble in the new machine, almost as fast as the 32 GB anyway. Wow!

Real Name
Andy
Actually, though, the 16 GB is very quick and nimble in the new machine, almost as fast as the 32 GB anyway.
There is no effect on CPU speed with additional RAM until you give it tasks that are using up all your RAM. I was recently reminded of this fact when I benchmarked the 8GB mini against the 16GB mini. Furthermore, as I understand it, the integration of RAM in the the M1 chip itself (rather than a separate location on the motherboard, which is the typical architecture) makes it do more with less RAM. In other words, 16GB is the new 32GB.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom