Computer Upgrade

Real Name
Andy
When you bought the no-name USB-C to -A adapter did it claim to be USB 3 or 3.1. I suspect it didn't and is only USB 2.
The excuse is that these cables are sold for people who want to simply charge USB-C devices. You have to check the specs carefully as a connector alone is not enough. Is the cable a thin cheap looking cable?
I suspect you’re right - that the adapter is the issue, but what’s strange is that it came with an extremely fast external SSD. Because of that, I assumed it would support USB 3.0 for data transfer.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I suspect you’re right - that the adapter is the issue, but what’s strange is that it came with an extremely fast external SSD. Because of that, I assumed it would support USB 3.0 for data transfer.
In the early days of USB3 I bought several cables that I subsequently found to be substandard and I have chucked. Things have got better since then.

I just bought a mouse with a USB-C connector for charging. The adapter provided for charging works fine. It doesn't need to be USB 3. But if I muddled that cable with others I wouldn't be able to tell at a glance, although I do see that the inside of the USB-A end is black not blue, so that does show they are being honest about it. Is yours blue?

For what it's worth:
My so called non-name hub, is a IOGear USB-C 4 port USB-A hub, model GUH3C14 (USB-A END IS BLUE)
My AmazonBasics USB-C is a AmazonBasics USB Type-C to Micro-B 3.1 Gen2 Charger Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters) SS-10.
The original Sony Micro-B cable has a blue end, but only says SS

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This is a bad practice of which I had been guilty. During our recent move, I began keeping a separate container of USB 2.0 cables and adapters on a shelf just slightly out of easy reach. Looks like I have a new addition for it.
Good idea. I just did a big tidy up of all my cables. I decided on a hierarchical plastic bag system. For example USB-A to Micro-USB all go in one bag. USB-A to USB-C go in another bag. And so on. Then all these small USB bags go into one big USB bag. Some approach with monitor cables.

Not all USB ports are equal.
Laptop designers have to make choices.....
The hardware only supports so many ports and the run-length is critical (for USB3) so the ports are not all the same.
Distant ports or multiple ports on the far side of the hinge are usually running from an internal hub adding latency.
Power delivery on ports often vary also.

In summary -- try multiple ports.
The ones "closest" electrically to the CPU will likely be best.

Lastly - I'm always amazed that the USB designers managed to come up with a plug that has only two obvious ways to insert yet always seems to take three tries....impressive human factors fail.

I'm always amazed that the USB designers managed to come up with a plug that has only two obvious ways to insert yet always seems to take three tries
Truer words are rarely spoken.
I keep a bottle of red nail polish in my desk. A little dot goes on the top end of my usb cables. Until it wears off I know which end goes up. Still takes 2 tries sometimes.
I also put a little red dot on my lenses where they line up with the camera- just makes it easier to see.
gary

Real Name
Andy
Returning to the original topic, if I may...

After two weeks of blissfully smooth operation, my new mini started to exhibit cursor freezing and lagging. After battery replacement (which should not have been needed), swapping mice with my laptop and even my son's computer, fiddling with Bluetooth settings, and a bit of internet research, it's still an issue. One of the suggestions by other users is that it is RAM-related. I don't think that's the case, because actual computing performance does not seem impaired, and I have yet to hear the CPU fan - in fact, I'm still not certain it even has one.

Thoughts?

There has been a lot of discussion on Macrumors about the various issues with the new M1 machines.....BT issues are pretty prevalent. Mice, keyboards.....not doing what they are expected to do. The latest update to Big Sur, which actually is mostly a security update, has seemed to resolve some problems for some users but not for everyone.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade

After two weeks of blissfully smooth operation, my new mini started to exhibit cursor freezing and lagging. After battery replacement (which should not have been needed), swapping mice with my laptop and even my son's computer, fiddling with Bluetooth settings, and a bit of internet research, it's still an issue. One of the suggestions by other users is that it is RAM-related. I don't think that's the case, because actual computing performance does not seem impaired, and I have yet to hear the CPU fan - in fact, I'm still not certain it even has one.

Thoughts?
Moving over to Apple forum.

Thoughts?
Tom has identified a bluetooth issue in his review. Is this similar to what you are experiencing?
"Bluetooth connectivity is another clear issue, even though the Mac mini boasts Bluetooth 5 for wireless connectivity. We ran into problems with wireless keyboards, mice and headphones that had trouble establishing or keeping a connection. Even once connected, other users have noted laggy performance, with Bluetooth mice failing to track at consistent speeds across the screen. This is likely something that can be fixed with a software patch down the road, but it's a problem you'll need to worry about in the meantime."

Latest threads

Top Bottom