Concert photos - nikon 85 1.8 & 50 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fjgindy, May 11, 2007.

1. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  2. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Very nice, thanks for sharing.

3. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Very nice.

4. Nicely done. I've shot a lot of bands in and out of clubs. About the only advice I can offer is to look for interesting angles. Don't just go for the perfectly-framed shots. Like jazz, photography is all about free expression. Have fun and experiment.

5. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Nice!!

Regards

6. I like it!

7. ptchan5

ptchan5

Apr 21, 2007
    California, USA
    DOF on 85 f1.8

Question. So when you are shooting the concert, do you generally shoot with the lens wide open all the time because of the low light or do you stop down the lens to get a deeper DOF, say f4?

I always struggle with stopping the lens down for better composition because the whole purpose of the fast lens is to be able to shoot in low light situations indoors like the concert, but f1.8 is so shallow.

Thanks in advance for the advice on your shooting technique.

8. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I quite like the shots but you need better lenses, there is alot of purple fringing in several of the shots :Shocked: :Clown: :505:

9. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I try to step back so I can get more of the shot in focus than I crop. However, most of the time I leave it as is. Also, converting to black and white adds another dimension to the picture that I think works really nice with a short DOF and the dreaded purple fringe.

10. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Wide open on these shots were because of low light. There was minimal stage lighting..it was dark.

11. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    :biggrin:

Still waiting to hit the lotto or for long lost relative to leave me an inheritance so I can get the 85 1.4 :smile:

12. I always shoot wide open. Mostly because I don't have a choice. I'm typically using the Beast, and that's as fast as I can get. When I first started posting here, I got some great advice from Deadhead. He can offer much better advice than I can.

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

some very nice shots, FJG .....;-))

14. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions!

15. Actually I think the purple is not due to fringing but stage lights. Well done.

PaulC

16. This series shows why speed lens primes are important.

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

other than the speed the 85 1.4 wouldn't have helped here, fact the PF probably would have been worse...and really, i could care less. a little PF in situations such as this can easily be writtin off as -> stage light funk ..lol
    :biggrin:

18. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I'm absolutely positive that you're right but I'd still love to own the 1.4 someday! :cool:

I'm not in a hurry though. The 1.8 is a phenomenal lens for the $250 I paid for it. Just someday....

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

o i hear u there ...there's much more to that lens than the speed...-))...btw, your kit's looking pretty good and you're obviously making really good use of it...;-))

20. sebastian73

sebastian73

Apr 24, 2007
    Switzerland
    with witch ISO did you make this concert shots?

Nice pics :wink: