Concert photos - nikon 85 1.8 & 50 1.4

I covered a jazz concert (Walter Beasley) for the radio station I work at. A few pictures with the 85 1.8 and 50 1.4:

Nikon 85 1.8 1/100 F1.8

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon 85 1.8 1/125 F1.8

View attachment 95083

Nikon 85 1.8 1/80 F1.8

View attachment 95084

Nikon 50mm 1.4 1/60 F1.4

View attachment 95085

Nikon 50mm 1.4 1/100 F1.4

View attachment 95086

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done. I've shot a lot of bands in and out of clubs. About the only advice I can offer is to look for interesting angles. Don't just go for the perfectly-framed shots. Like jazz, photography is all about free expression. Have fun and experiment.

DOF on 85 f1.8

Question. So when you are shooting the concert, do you generally shoot with the lens wide open all the time because of the low light or do you stop down the lens to get a deeper DOF, say f4?

I always struggle with stopping the lens down for better composition because the whole purpose of the fast lens is to be able to shoot in low light situations indoors like the concert, but f1.8 is so shallow.

Thanks in advance for the advice on your shooting technique.

I quite like the shots but you need better lenses, there is alot of purple fringing in several of the shots :Shocked: :Clown: :505:

Question. So when you are shooting the concert, do you generally shoot with the lens wide open all the time because of the low light or do you stop down the lens to get a deeper DOF, say f4?

I always struggle with stopping the lens down for better composition because the whole purpose of the fast lens is to be able to shoot in low light situations indoors like the concert, but f1.8 is so shallow.

I try to step back so I can get more of the shot in focus than I crop. However, most of the time I leave it as is. Also, converting to black and white adds another dimension to the picture that I think works really nice with a short DOF and the dreaded purple fringe.

Wide open on these shots were because of low light. There was minimal stage lighting..it was dark.

I always shoot wide open. Mostly because I don't have a choice. I'm typically using the Beast, and that's as fast as I can get. When I first started posting here, I got some great advice from Deadhead. He can offer much better advice than I can.

N

Nuteshack

:biggrin:

Still waiting to hit the lotto or for long lost relative to leave me an inheritance so I can get the 85 1.4 :smile:
other than the speed the 85 1.4 wouldn't have helped here, fact the PF probably would have been worse...and really, i could care less. a little PF in situations such as this can easily be writtin off as -> stage light funk ..lol

other than the speed the 85 1.4 wouldn't have helped here, fact the PF probably would have been worse...and really, i could care less. a little PF in situations such as this can easily be writtin off as -> stage light funk ..lol
I'm absolutely positive that you're right but I'd still love to own the 1.4 someday! :cool:

I'm not in a hurry though. The 1.8 is a phenomenal lens for the $250 I paid for it. Just someday....

N

Nuteshack

o i hear u there ...there's much more to that lens than the speed...-))...btw, your kit's looking pretty good and you're obviously making really good use of it...;-))

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom