Critique Confession time....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Apologies to @Mike Buckley , @Palouse , @Bart and others.....

I was up after midnight last night, up at 6 am to go to senior hour at the grocery store, had a nice lasagna dinner with 3 (maybe 4!) glasses of wine...do things ALWAYS look better with wine??????????????

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Previous color version....
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK.....I'm going to bed now.... be kind..... I don't get out much!!!!!! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
plains zebras..........I'm going to bed......! LOL!

Thanks guys! BUT - I DO like the B&W image better!!!!!

Great processing on the black and white - great image all around. I like how such much is white and black - without having too much contrast.

I see what Mike says about cropping - I agree on the color version. But I like the b/w one cropped just the way it is.

Excellent b&w work, Karen!
I think you underestimate your "b&w eye".
I really like how the two zebras stand out in the b&w version. Much more so than in the colour version. There's no question for me, the b&w is definitely better more to my taste.
All of this is subjective of course but I wouldn't change the crop, unless the image I'm looking at now is already changed of course.
And on an even more personal preference level, I would loose that border. I looks to be overlaying the image. In that case, I would crop off some of the foreground as well.
But you would gain the head of the zebra on the left.

I prefer the B&W version. I'm always looking at backgrounds...and I particularly like this background with blurred herd of zebras and how it contrasts with the sharpness of the zebras that are the main subject. It's a great image. I happen to agree with Bart about the frame...but that might be due to how to appears here in the Cafe (perhaps the exterior of that frame is not visible when it appears in the post here).

Glenn

I really like the B&W conversion Karen. IMO the FG doesn't need cropping in the B&W version but it might be a good idea to crop the green FG a bit in the color version as the green color distracts from the zebras.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should do more of your post-processing after a long day! It looks great to me. Consider cropping to reduce the foreground by about half, as that focuses the eye on the two rabble rousers (aka subjects) for me.
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. If I were to change the crop, I might take a little of the top....
Great stuff !! (y)
Thanks!
B&W is simply tops. No question. Drink more wine.
Appreciate it, Nick!
Great processing on the black and white - great image all around. I like how such much is white and black - without having too much contrast.

I see what Mike says about cropping - I agree on the color version. But I like the b/w one cropped just the way it is.
Thanks for commenting, Allan!
Excellent b&w work, Karen!
I think you underestimate your "b&w eye".
I really like how the two zebras stand out in the b&w version. Much more so than in the colour version. There's no question for me, the b&w is definitely better more to my taste.
All of this is subjective of course but I wouldn't change the crop, unless the image I'm looking at now is already changed of course.
And on an even more personal preference level, I would loose that border. I looks to be overlaying the image. In that case, I would crop off some of the foreground as well.
But you would gain the head of the zebra on the left.
I so appreciate you taking the time to post your comments! Zebras are definitely my favorite animal to photograph in Africa. They are so graphic! I don't get excite about the big cats or elephants, etc.
You are correct, the border was done in SEP and it overlays the image. If I were to do it again, I might adjust the size of the border to reveal a bit more of the head on the far left...
LOL! Thanks, Randy!
I prefer the B&W version. I'm always looking at backgrounds...and I particularly like this background with blurred herd of zebras and how it contrasts with the sharpness of the zebras that are the main subject. It's a great image. I happen to agree with Bart about the frame...but that might be due to how to appears here in the Cafe (perhaps the exterior of that frame is not visible when it appears in the post here).

Glenn
Appreciate it, Glenn. When photographing, the background is just as important to me as the subject. So many times I'd see a great subject and a terrible background - and not shoot.

The B&W version for me Karen, a super display of processing talent. If you attribute any of this to drinking wine, then all means continue drinking.
I can drink wine and process - but NO wine before shooting! LOL!
I really like the B&W conversion Karen. IMO the FG doesn't need cropping in the B&W version but it might be a good idea to crop the green FG a bit in the color version as the green color distracts from the zebras.
Thanks as always, Binnur!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom