Confused About Software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vandyu, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    After perusing many Nikon forums, it appears that Nikon Cafe has a large number of pros, semi-pros, and really skilled amateurs. So, I hope that my novice-level question will find some serious answers from those who have gone before.

I have several software programs, and I'm not sure what to use to get the best results right now. I'm getting off to somewhat of a slow start with my D50, but I am doing some shooting on automatic at the moment. Will use more challenging modes, however. But back to the questions.

The D50 came with a CD with PictureProject 1.5 and a trial of Nikon Capture 4.2.

My SanDisk ImageMate SD Card Reader came with a CD that has AdobePhotoshop Album Starter Edition.

My Dell computer has Dell Image Expert Premium Edition, which has an album feature, corrections for red eye, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and cropping that is limited.

I've read that the Nikon web site's Nikon View is better than PictureProject and the two are not compatible on the same computer.

Could someone please help me out so I can move ahead with my new D50, which, incidentally I really like. I also have some questions about moire, but these are best addressed with posted shots, so this will wait. Thanks in advance for your advice on the software questions. :)

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Personally, I don't like Picture Project or Nikon View. Transfer your images from the CF card to your hard drive using Windows Explorer.

Nikon Capture is basically a RAW converter, and you may want to try it out if you plan to shoot RAW images with your D50. However, it is dog slow and requires a computer with a powerful processor and lots of RAM to work efficiently.

As far as image editing is concerned, Photoshop CS2 is the gold standard. However it is expensive and contains a zillion features that you probably don't need yet. Photoshop Album is basically an image cataloging program, rather than an editor.

Therefore, my recommendation would be to get Photoshop Elements 3. It is much more powerful than anything that came free with the computer, and pretty much everything you learn is transferrable to the 'full' version. It will almost certainly do everything you need at this stage.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I would agree that Photoshop Elements is a good way to get started. I use that in conjunction with Nikon Capture because I shoot RAW, but Nikon Capture also does a good job on JPG files, and is very fast with those.

Take a look at this thread, it shows how well NC can do with problems... https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=7399

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't mean to be a tag-along...but I thoroughly agree with you guys, Elements 3 is a great product and I would also recommend purchasing Scott Kelby's book - PhotoShop Elements 3 for Digital Photographers to enhance the capabilities of the software. I truly believe that the book purchase will accelerate the learning process and give some ideas to pursue that you probably would have not considered.

5. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks guys for your opinions. So, basically, it sounds like I might be better off not installing the Nikon PictureProject or the Adobe PhotoShop Album? Is PhotoShop Elements 3 different, I presume, from what I have from SanDisk? Do I need to buy it from Best Buy or Circuit City, etc.? While I'm at it, what do you recommend for a website to post my pictures to? Geez, all these newbie questions... :roll:

6. I would also consider using nikon view for several reasons:

1. It is free.

2. It will show you all your shooting info. Non-nikon software will not do this.

3. It has an excellent transfer utility. In nikon transfer you can tell it to embed the shooting data into the IPTC field.

4. It has a nice "tag" feature for initial culling of your files.

5. It will do a good job of interpreting the WB and other in-camera settings.

6. It is simple to understand.

7. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks, Rory. Sounds pretty good. I wonder why Nikon doesn't just include a disk for Nikon View in the camera box instead of Picture Project.

8. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    When I bought my first digital camera, I used the proprietary photo-editing software that came with the Olympus 3040. You can get hooked very easily! I bought Photoshop Elements (1) because I knew I wanted to learn more, and read that it had 90% of what I would need. When PSE2 was released, I bought that as a replacement. After a couple of years, I was ready for Photoshop, and everything I had learned in Elements was applicable in PS.

So if you think that you will enjoy tinkering with your photos to improve them, I agree with the other posters that Elements is a good way to go, and will let you grow along with your interest and abilities.

9. You can also try out Rawshooter | essentials its a very good basic raw processor and the price is right at zero dollars.

Its very fast and take the place of Nikon View and Capture, it doesn't have the advanced features of Capture but what it does it does well.

Martin

10. I use NikonView6 and Photoshop CS. Works for me. But I am sure there a lot of right answers. I would recommend getting into the Photoshop game at some level, since this is the software that the pros seem to prefer.

11. I've been working with digital photography since my first .7mp camera. Over this time I've come to rely on a few excellent software packages. Keep in mind that favorite software is like opinions, everyone has one. You'll eventually settle on ones, but here are my favorites:

- Editing Photoshop and Nikon Capture (Elements would be a good start)
    - Managing Thumbsplus. Remember you will eventually have thousands of images you'll need to keep track of. This is shareware and costs about $80-.00 It is the best for my needs
    - Printing Qimage. Places multiple images, any sizes, the same or different on a single page. Actually you can edit with it and especially remove red-eye easily. Shareware ~$5.00
    - Noise removal Neat image/Noise Ninja it's a toss up. Sahreware both excellent

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Rich

12. bstaggs

bstaggs Guest

Is Rawshooter free? From their website it's not clear to me if it's free or just a trial version.

Thanks,

13. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    QImage is a phenomenal program. I use it exclusively for printing as the final step in my workflow. Actually though, it is $45 to buy, but upgrades are free forever - and come at very regular rates, often in direct response to users' requests.

14. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Hi fellow Boomer Sooner.
    The big OU symbol caught my eye. Graduated twice from Norman. Still think about what a great experience it was going to OU, even during the bad football years :lol:

15. Yes Rawshooter | essentals is free, they have a for pay product comming with more features.

You will have to give them your email address to download it though.

Martin