Confused newbie regarding lens quality

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by MarkM, Dec 25, 2005.

1. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Good day to all,

I started out using a 50 f/1.8D from a friend on my D200 while waiting for my 18-200VR to arrive. I know that primes are better than zooms, but I was not expecting the results to be so drastic.

I took a flash picture with the 50mm, then switched to the 18-200VR, set it to 50mm and took a picture of the same thing.

The zoom image was considerably darker and the colors were off.

Tried to post images but got little icon with 'x' in it. Oh well, one more thing for this newbie to learn.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all
    Mark

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh dear Mark,
    what kind of probs you haveing posting an image.
    There are plent of folks to help you out with that.
    No newbeeees here only great future photogs :>)))))

50 MM is a great lens. Want a fun and challenging lens, try a Lensbaby :>))))
    More LLD lololol

www.lensbaby.com

They have a neat forum tooooooo..
    Gee fun to spend your money.

3. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Thanks Gale,

I just found the answer to posting images, I need upload to a website first.

I looked at the lensbaby - pretty cool - will definitely get one to play with.

Still, I do not understand why such a noticable quality loss from the 50mm shot to the 18-200 set at 50mm.

Will be setting up website later and start uploading. I have already learned alot from reading all the posts here - thank you to nikon cafe and all of you who reside here - wish you all well.

Mark

4. Don't know all that you did, but I bet there is a simple explanation. I have both these lenses (got the 18-200 on the 23rd), and though I haven't made a direct comparison, based on my experience I would expect the 18-200 to compare very favorably to the 50/1.8.

5. marc

marc Guest

what was your shutter speed and aperture?

that is what controls exposure, not focal length.

6. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Marc,

Thanks, apparently too much euphoria with new D200 combined with lack of sleep (counting pixels is not the same as counting sheep - lol) caused a brain cloud.

50mm exp. = 1/60, f/2.8
    18-200@50mm = 1/60, f/4.8

After reading your reply, I put the 50mm f/1.8 back on, set camera to manual 1/60, f/4.5 (and f/5.0) and the results were extremely close to the 18-200 picture - will try non flash comparison outside tomorrow.

Note to self: No more questions until after I am fully rested and thinking more clearly.

Mark

7. I doubt that there's one person here who hasn't posted something and then beat their head against the wall wondering how they could NOT see the answer right in front of them.

Some DGs allow you to delete you own posts and avoid the embarrassment... hint, hint :rolleyes:

Woody

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I learn from all questions and answers :>))

Sometimes I just forget (youngsheimers) and enjoy the refresher :>)))))

9. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    I have learned quite a bit from reading all the threads here - seems like there is enough help here to publish a book.

I just came in from my outdoor comparison shots between the 50mm and the 18-200@50mm. The images are very close - amazing what can happen after a night's rest and the flash is removed from the equation - lol.

To clarify, I was not expecting the zoom to equal the prime, was just curious as to how close they would be.

Wow!!......what's that?!!..............sweet!!...........the breeze from the ceiling fan is blowing away the brain cloud and I can see the 80-400VR and the 50mm f/1.4D arriving soon - just what the doctor ordered to put an end to 'NAS' for a few months - lol.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas
    Happy Holidays to all
    Mark

10. marc

marc Guest

i do not want to burst your bubble, but high quality nikon zoom lenses will provide images that are every bit as good as most fixed focal length.

if you have 18-200, why do you need? 50mm 1.4? for speed, indoors without flash?

80-400 why?

i would look at 17-55 2.8 great every day lenses, very versatile, fast sharp

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I will disagree with you. When I had just a D70 I thought the same thing but once I got a D2x the zooms fell behind. The 28-70 and 70-200vr only get used when I fell like playing with D70 now.