Confused wings

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Oct 18, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Back in Wisconsin again, I've been awed by the migration of the sandhill cranes through the area. Tonight at sunset, I was overflown by something on the order of a thousand or more cranes, flock after flock proceeding south.

I stood and shot for about twenty minutes until the sun set and the cranes receded to the horizon. The formations were incredible, and I captured images that would do any aerobatic squad proud, but these birds maneouvered with a natural grace, their harsh calls fading over the fields. One photo made me smile, the wings of the birds all jumbled, their heads lined up towards a faraway destination.

[​IMG]
    D100, 200-400mm AFS/VR, TC17E, processed in NC, cropped in PS-CS

The Bosque del Apache is far away, but I'm getting practice every day, and who knows, perhaps I'm seeing the exact same birds that I'll photograph when I'm back home.

Always shoot.

John P.

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. That is a great and a rare shot. At the first glance I thought: "Boy those birds fly close. Wonder if they crash?". At the second glance I saw how you captured their parallel bodies and legs and their wings just seems like the same bird shot with 1/10th of a second interval starting with the upper one. I certainly come back to look at this. Great shot.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful. Wall hanger for sure. You must be might proud.

Delicious, to quote Paul, is the lighting

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous shot John. I like the formation, but the thing that makes it for me is the beautiful light.

Where in Wisconsin was this taken?

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Torben :

Thanks for the kind comments.

Amazing how these birds coordinate their flight, eh ?

John P.

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gale :

Thanks.

One of these days, I need to start printing these things, I suppose.

John P.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Thanks. The light was fun, but low. I did lose a number of shots to blur despite my best efforts. And shooting with the D100 means I can't dial in the WB in Kelvins like you do, so I'm a bit less enabled in that respect.

The shot was taken about 15 miles to the west of Port Edwards on Highway 54, which places it about 15 miles SW of Pittsville, "The Exact Center of Wisconsin" (or so the sign at the town limits says).

Fun time shooting.

John P.

9. John, this is great, really great. Love the composition and the light.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Excellent shot, and wonderous light, John! With all that lens compression created by, what 650mm(?), it really does create a bit of an optical illusion. I really had to study the shot to figue out what wings went with who's body!

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great capture, John. When the image opened up, my first reaction is that it reminded me of some of the Thunderbird and Blue Angel images that some have posted. The tight formation of these geese was captured so well. The lighting and DOF are just excellant.

12. Very nice pic John!

Now, my curiosity is peaked; what did you shoot on Friday??? :confused:

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

nice tight formation and a nice image to show it off !!

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

Yah, I was absolutely knocked out with the way the wings all went akimber.

John P.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Thanks for the kind comments.

I actually had some staggered diagonal formations, top and bottom type positions. All in all, any number that recall the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels...

... but, of course, I think that the cranes were doing these things first ! :wink:

John P.

16. Wonderful image, I like it a lot.

17. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon :

Thanks.

I went back yesterday and today to the same area where I'd seen so many sandhills flying overhead, to find only a few stragglers. The migration has passed through the area it seems.

Ah, well, I'll just have to look for some other birds when I go to Texas next week. :wink:

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005