Confused

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Chris C, Jun 23, 2007.

1. I just don't understand how computers work. My mind just doesn't wrap around their concepts.

After I've worked up an image with NX and "saved" it, what happens to the changes I've made? The reason I ask is that my trial version runs out in less than a week and I'm still working on all the images. None have been converted to jpeg. When the trial ends, will I lose that data and have to start over?:confused:

2. You won't lose the data; without a working version of Capture NX you won't be able to read them until you get one. Why wouldn't you save the files as jpg or tiff? You can still work on them until you let NX lapse and then use another image processing software after that.

True once you convert them you won't be able to manipulate the files quite as much as when they were raw files but you will still be able to do an aweful lot. What other image manipulating programs do you have? PhotoShop, Lightroom, Bible,...?

3. I should point out that many of these other programs can read Nikon raw files (.NEF) albeit I think you won't be able to see the changes you have made to them. If you ever decide to get Capture NX you can always come back to these original files and read all of what you have done to them.

4. I plan on buying NX.............I really like it. But I might have to wait a few weeks to do so. So when I get the permanent NX, all the images I worked up will be in their altered state..........is that correct?

5. Correct!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    He has the original...RIGHT:>)))))
    Shooting RAW???
    Save as highest quality jpg or tiff

7. I know, Gale. I'm computer illiterate...............not stupid.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: My concern was I may not have time to go through all of the images, double check what I've done and then convert them to jpeg before my trial NX runs out. I was just worried I'd lose all my work up to that point.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Understanding what computers and programs do take a long time

Not to mean your stupid
    Sorry if you took it that way

9. Chris

When / if you purchase Capture NX all you have to do is register your current free trial version on your computer with the Product Key code you receive on the back of the CD package. Do not delete the program and then reinstall the new copy as they are the same. Your lapsed version should prompt you for the Product Key when you open it.

Also make sure you know where your image files are on your hard drive and that you don't inadvertanly delete them if you were to delete the trail version of NX and reinstall the new one. Another reason why I don't recommend you reinstall the new copy of the program. This is probably not the case but some programs in the old days used to keep the data files in the same place on your hard drive as the program itself so that is why I suggest you be careful.

10. You could "save as" them as TIFF's anyway,keeping the original NEF, in NX, so you could view them in the meantime in your other programs. Also, saving them as TIFF's, even though a larger file, if you do anymore editing with them in PS or the like they will not degrade in quality as a jpeg would. Just a thought.

Cheers
    Nancy

11. I didn't really take it that way.............that's why the big grin emoticons.

12. Not sure I can afford to buy the program before the trial ends. So I'd better get off my rear end and convert them to jpegs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    whewww....:>))))))

Thanks

14. Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy.

15. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff, Gale. No offense taken.

16. Okay, I just saved an image. I didn't get the Options Dialog box that lets me choose between RGB and CMYK, etc., etc. All I got was the Options Dialog box that concerns quality and the Embed ICC Profile. So how do I make the RGB or CMYK choice, Compression, and Bit depth before saving?

17. I think I answered my own question! On page 117 of Jason's e-book, it explains about adding a color profile to your image. I get the whole thing, except..................when choosing the "intent", what do the four choices, Perceptual, Saturation, Relative Colormetric, and Absolute Colormetric mean?