Confusion

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I don’t know what I was doing:confused:. Now that the Rose of Sharon bushes are blooming again, the hummers are busy with the new blooms as well as visiting my feeder. I took a strategic position and waited. Well, no hummers, so I decided to take my obligatory annual Rose of Sharon photo. Spotted one I liked; left the camera on the tripod; walked out and reached up to adjust a leaf; and a hummer buzzed in within one foot of my hands. Of course, he didn’t pose and wait for the camera, but the flower did cooperate. I sat there for another half hour and watched a fawn gambol through the pasture, but no hummers before today’s storms rolled in. [A 15-degree drop in temperature and 0.35 inches of rain sure felt good.:biggrin:]

Hope you like this one Sommer:smile:.

DSC_1799sm.

2. Sounds like my kind of luck, Bob. At least you came away with a very nice shot of the Rose of Sharon.

3. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Nice pic. These flowers are never easy to photograph. Thanks for sharing

4. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks _Jorge_ If you're referring to the color, you're right -- As they age, they go from the red side of magenta to the blue side. If you're not careful with the color balance, you end up with a funny looking image.

Thanks Tom -- We all have days like that. The only thing you can do about it is laugh it off and try again tomorrow:wink:.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well you have a beautiful photo:>))))

6. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Very Nice; I have two Rose of Sharon Bushes next too my home I am waiting anxiously for them to bloom

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thankyou Gale and Tony. Tony, mine just started this past week, so yours ought to be blooming soon.

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Nice shot Bob.

I have a tough time photographing flowers in general . THeyre harder to compose successfully than youd think. For me at least.And Im always back & forth between do I go Pastel or do I saturate?

9. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Biggs -- I agree with the composition comment, especially if you're trying to photograph them as they exist in nature. As for colors, I tend to boost saturation when the flowers are a part of a landscape, but, when a single flower is THE subject, I try to match the real thing as closely as possible. (or, at least the real thing as I see it:biggrin:)

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Would have been nice to see the hummer but the flower is very beautiful. Great color.

11. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Torben, but I had to take what I could get. (missed the little @$%#@) again today)