Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project 2020 ------ AND IT'S A WRAP!!!! 53 WEEKS DONE!!!!

Heading towards the finish line.....Week 50 all wrapped up and we begin looking towards Week 51!

Started out the week playing some more with my Lensball:

Reflections in a Glass Ball.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My little buddies the Hooded Mergansers out for a swim a few days ago; it's fascinating how the shape of their heads changes depending upon if they raise their "hood" or not:

The Hooded Gang Out for a Swim.jpg

Bought myself a new plant this past week, and of course had to get up close and personal with the leaves:

Green Leaf with Veins.JPG

Another of my experiments in abstraction:

Round and Round We Go.JPG

This image is getting right to the point:

To the Point.jpg

Pointed, you say?

Pointy.jpg

Enough with the pointy and sharp stuff, time for a little velvety softness:

Soft as Red Velvet.JPG

Sometimes a guy's just gotta stretch his neck:

Stretching.jpg

The year is winding down..... WEEK 51 all finished and ready for public viewing!

Still playing with the lovely Poinsettia plant, loving its brilliant red leaves and the fascinating little flowers, which are called "Cyathia":

Colorful Cyathia.jpg

We had our first snowstorm of the season this past week! My new car had her first experience of being covered with the white stuff -- fortunately we had only about 2 1/2 inches. From inside the comfortable, warm and dry house I shot this while it was still snowing:

Mirroring the Snow.JPG

The lake iced-over partially, but there were still some spots of open water where the Canada Geese and Hooded Mergansers could swim and occasionally grab some food. It was interesting to see them amicably sharing the same space, no fussing between species!

Geese and Hooded Mergansers Amicably Sharing their Limited Water Space.jpg

This past week I also tried something new; I surrendered to my curiosity and bought a Lensbaby Sol 45, which came with 3 closeup filters as well. It's an all-manual lens, rather fun for experimenting, both with and without the closeup filters. In this image I used all three closeup filters stacked on the lens:

Closeup and Personal With a Pinecone.JPG

At one point I captured the Hooded Mergansers doing their own thing together, and just as I clicked the shutter button, one dived under the water in search of lunch!

Hooded Mergansers in the Icy Lake.jpg

Another look at that pinecone, this time without the closeup filters and experimenting with the tilting feature and what the lens does on its own:

Pinecone and City Lights.JPG

Playing with abstracts again:

Abstract in B&W.JPG

In brilliant red contrast to the B&W shot above:

Brilliance of Leaves at Christmastime.jpg

WEEK 52!!!!!! Only one more to go in 2020 and it's a wrap!!! I'm chuffed that I've actually done this, come this far.

This past week, unsurprisingly, was fairly busy in various ways and so I didn't shoot as much as I normally do. I am also going to scale back the number of images posted each week, too, as I think that a lot of images -- too many -- may be something which a lot of viewers don't really appreciate. I had started out the year with a modest group but as time went on the photos I posted each week crept up. So, starting my New Year's Resolution for 2021 a little early, here are fewer images for your consumption this time! :)

Picking up from last week's brilliant red poinsettia (I've really worked that poor thing to death -- it's been a terrific model!), another shot to start out this one:

Poinsettia Leaf Reaching Out.JPG

One afternoon I was fiddling around with trying to get some sort of Christmassy image. This one turned out a little unexpectedly!

Christmas Reflections.jpg

Christmas comes once a year and now it's over, time to put away the Christmas stuff for another twelve months. Still lots and lots to explore and to shoot, though, and I'm looking forward to moving into 2021. Happily for me the Hooded Mergansers are around between late October and mid-April, so they've been fun subjects to watch and to occasionally capture with the camera when they're doing something interesting. This guy was really enjoying the rain we had a few days ago!

Wing Flapping in the Rain.jpg

I get a kick out of it when one suddenly dives under the water just as I'm pressing the shutter!

Dunking for Goodies.jpg

Some of the really cold nights we have been having cause the lake to partly freeze over. One evening I stepped on my deck for some reason and noticed an interesting play of light and shadows going on so grabbed the camera:

Shadowplay on Ice.JPG

Thanks, Terri! Actually, I'm still shooting images this week for 2020's project, as the year isn't over yet! Since New Year's isn't until Friday it pretty much makes this pretty much another full week anyway, thanks to Leap Year and that extra day, so it's really a 53 weeks project for 2020! Then on New Year's Day 2021 I'll start fresh with a brand-new project!

The Lensbaby is a fun little thing to use when one kind of gets the hang of it. Definitely a novelty item, though. Of course some of the results can also be achieved just by using my regular macro lens and careful framing/composition and selective focus. The Lensbaby does add an extra tool to my photographic artillery.....

Winter in my area is definitely different from what you experience! We have some years with snow, some years with very little to no snow and some years we get walloped. We never know what to expect, but it does seem as though the past couple of winters have been milder. That's fine with me!

......And it's a WRAP!!!! Week 53 is done and to the relief of all of us, the Year 2020 is going to be done and gone in the US in a few hours!!

Thank you to all who looked at the images presented over the past 52 weeks as part of this project! I will indeed be starting up a new 52 Weeks Project for 2021. I'm hooked now! :)

Starting off: Those who have been around the Cafe for a long time know how much of an Apple products fan I am. This past Saturday I finally got my hands on a shiny new M1 13" MacBook Pro (1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM). Great little machine! I've been having fun with her, including doing a "glamor" shot in B&W:

Glamorous M1 13%22.jpg

Still in the B&W mood, a shot that I was delighted to have been able to have nabbed: A Hooded Merganser with his freshly-captured lunch!

Successful Catch.jpg

For some color, how about a bit of golden gleam:

Golden Gleam.jpg

Although I don't usually repeat the same photo in two places, and some may have seen this image already in the Collective Shoot's "Iconic Year 2020" thread, it really belongs here as well, wrapping up 2020:

Icons of 2020.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom