Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project 2020 ------ AND IT'S A WRAP!!!! 53 WEEKS DONE!!!!

Thanks, Nick! I had such fun at Meadowlark but also had shot other images around home which I wanted to share as well, so thought I'd go full-out this time! Last night I got to looking at my avatar and thought, "it's time for a new one!" Tried one idea, discarded it, and then thought of using this one, since it's a little different and includes my favorite colors..... The image was another of those "Freeman Patterson Happy Accident" moments....

Last edited:
Real Name
Morten
Just catching up on week 24-26.... so many great pictures Connie wow

All great... here is a few stand-outs for me
w24 - first macro - wow and very artistic one of the leaves
w25 - really great catch of Black-Crowned Night Heron also like the backlit blackbird
w26 - again great shot of Black-Crowned Night Heron (y) also I really like the "No idea of what these are" and the last one is just stunning

Week 27 brings us lots of wildlife and a dose of purple.....

The nice weather we had earlier in the week brought out the squirrels and they were all over the place, including on the boardwalk and the ropes. I guess they like the lake as much as I do! :)

Squirrel on the Ropes on the Boardwalk.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Saw the Green Heron again [ETA: thanks to Nick, I now know that this is actually a Common Grackle!], this time on the rocks near the footbridge. I wish the sun had been shining right on him to show the beautiful iridescence of his feathers.....

Green Heron on the Rocks.jpeg

Since I hadn't seen any turtles using the partially submerged log in a while I thought maybe they'd been intimidated by the Green heron or perhaps Alfred, but this yucky-mucky guy proved me wrong:

Turtle Emerging from the Silty Water.jpeg

Alfred seems to be praying and supplicating the Gods to bring him more fish! I'd never seen this pose until now, and I was fascinated. He stood that way for quite a while, too.

Please, More Fish!.jpeg

I missed seeing these two when they were cute little ducklings, but now here they are in their adolescent glory, a Mallard male and Mallard female.....

Let's See if She Has Food for Us.jpeg

And to wrap things up for the week, pretty purple flowers in the making:

Echoes.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you, Morten! Yes, every now and then I'm lucky enough to catch the squirrels doing interesting things, as they do occasionally get out on the boardwalk, although they spend most of their time in the common grounds area where there are a lot of trees. I've been using the 100-400mm most of the time but the other day when I saw those purple flowers starting to emerge I knew I had to get out the macro lens again for a capture.

Week 28 was really for the birds -- literally! Seems as though that's pretty much all that I shot. They just kept popping up!

First up: one day I looked out and saw a cormorant in the lake. They do occasionally stop in but don't hang around long. Grabbed the camera, grabbed the 100-400mm with TC, threw the works on the tripod and spent some time shooting from my deck..... I belatedly realized that I could've, should've, used the Bazooka, but somehow in my excitement and eagerness to get some shots I didn't even think about that and how I could've put the TC on the Bazooka, too, to give me more reach. Anyway, The cormorant was blueish-black but looks more blue here; either it's the way the light was hitting him or my post-processing or a combination of both. Because of his remarkable blue eyes I promptly named him "Frank." He only was around the one day so I am very lucky that I was able to get shots of him during his brief visit.

Frank Giving His Wings a Quick Drying.jpeg

For Nick: here's that Common Grackle again! :). This time at least I knew what I was photographing!

Common Grackle on the Rocks Again.jpeg

Ah, but wait! Looky here at who came along shortly afterward: yep, the Green Heron! In looking at the two images of the two birds I can't believe I ever mistook that Grackle for a heron! LOL!

Green Heron on the Rocks.jpeg

And for Gordon: I was surprised one afternoon when walking along the boardwalk to see two mourning doves strolling along there, too! There must be a nest somewhere nearby but when I looked around at the condo building I didn't see anything, so it might have been in the nearby trees. Anyway, there they were, out for an afternoon walk!

Two Mourning Doves on the Boardwalk.jpeg

One afternoon as I was stepping out the front door, ready to head out for some shooting, I realized that I didn't have to go far at all: sparrows were twittering and chirping all over the place and when I looked up I could see one on a post on the stairway leading to the next level. I experimented with some shots but the backlighting was a bad situation. It also pointed up to me that I needed to do some fiddling with my settings. I grumbled and complained, wishing that one of the darned birds had at least posed outdoors on one of the posts leading to my building or on the steps.

Next day when I headed out, sure enough, the same chorus of chirps and twittering, and this time I had much more success with my shooting.

This guy, his mouth full of his late lunch, obligingly posed nicely on one of the open steps of the stairway, making my exposure much better:

Having a Late Lunch.jpeg

Even better, another one flew out and landed on an outdoor post -- perfect! Just what I had wished for!

Yo, Gang! This is a Great Building For Us to Hang Out.jpeg

OK, a bonus shot -- not a bird this time, but a silly shot with the iPhone, just having some fun with the tripod and Wimberley:

Sittin' on the Swing.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: BLX
Connie. I guess I missed last week's submission. I love them all, but the photo of Alfred is my favorite. You got some very nice ones this week, too. My favorite being the bird on the post.

Thank you, Terri! It's been several days now since I've seen Alfred, so he must be sheltering in a cooler, shady place away from the heat and humidity that we have been having here. I'm hoping to see him again soon.

I've been trying to get photos of smaller birds for practice -- not always easy when they move so quickly! I found that adjusting my settings made a difference though, so some of the issues I was having were definitely due to user error. Using the 1.4x TC on the 100-400mm means that I do pay a price in loss of one whole f/stop, which on a slow lens can be problematic. Auto ISO helps a lot but I had misunderstood one of the settings in conjunction with it, which was really throwing things out of whack. Got that straightened out now, figured out what I'm supposed to be doing, and the situation is much better.

Latest threads

Top Bottom