Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project 2020 ---- Week 38

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Urbanflyer! Yes, I was pretty tickled with that one and had fun shooting it! Hadn't even had my usual morning OJ, much less any coffee yet! I knew I had to get the shooting in quickly before the light shifted and changed everything. I do love it when I suddenly see something and instantly realize, "there's a photo waiting to be shot...."

Week 32 is ready for public consumption! I've been having fun with the birdies and the squirrels but did shoot a couple of other things as well.....

I swear I'm feeding the entire sparrow population of Northern Virginia! In the beginning there were only a couple of sparrows....now there are at least twenty!!! The sparrows and the squirrels have reached an agreement and they don't bother each other and the sparrows fly in, hop around on the deck and enjoy their food while Smaug enjoys his sunflower seeds in "his" tray. One day I lucked out and got a shot when there were a bunch of sparrows and Smaug -- "Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here!"

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We've had a lot of rain here so when that happens I find something interesting to shoot in the house, or sometimes I just get an idea and decide to experiment.. This is a coin ring that my mother wore daily for years and years, and it is one of my cherished memories of her. It was made of coins from another country and whatever was on the top has now worn off, leaving a nice patina

The crow that one day several weeks ago paid a visit to my deck has now discovered the goodies here. He came back another couple of times to grab what he could, so I grabbed the camera and got a headshot of him:

Seems to me we've had an awful lot of spring and summer afternoons like this:

A couple of days later I was surprised to see Alfred taking a stroll on that very same pier:

Even though storms keep shifting the log that is partly submerged in the lake, the birds and the turtles still find it and relax on it; I spotted this guy sunning himself one day.....

And now for something a little different..... Inspired by Mike's thread discussing tabletop photography, techniques and tools used, I had a little fun this morning with some clear plastic spoons, a mirror and natural light coming through the bedroom window:

Connie, I just caught on on two weeks of submissions from you. You have such a variety of shots and so many interesting ones, from rings, to coffee filters, to spoons....just wonderful photos!!

Thank you, Terri and Nick! I am keeping this project fun for myself (and for others who might be viewing the images) by deliberately trying to shoot and share a variety of images and subjects.... A lot of times I shoot many images of the same subject -- say, Alfred or squirrels or birds -- but to post those week after week would not be interesting to anyone, even me! I try to throw in different subjects as I can, given the current limitations of this pandemic thing.... I am lucky to live in a place where there are opportunities for different subjects around the neighborhood, but also I rather enjoy finding something right in my own house and exploring it for possibilities, too....

Week 33 is wrapped up and ready for viewing!

Seems as though I didn't get out much this past week for one reason or another, but there were plenty of shooting opportunities right here at home! Yep, more birds and squirrels!

That Black Crow I shot a few weeks ago and who reappeared in last week's group came back for another visit, having discovered that we have goodies on the deck, so he again raided the trays a couple of times, much to my displeasure and that of the sparrows! One day he returned again and I slid open the sliding door to shoo him away. I was surprised when he still stood on the railing, so reached behind me and grabbed the camera and started shooting..... Much better image quality when there is no glass door between me and the subject! Also I was able to get (with the camera zoom) pretty close again. This time, since he is a black bird, I decided to give him the B&W treatment:

Black Crow in Black and White.jpeg

I really have been enjoying watching the sparrows. This guy was very serious in his approach to his meal: he thoughtfully studied the seeds on the tray before then carefully and decisively choosing just the right one:

Selecting Just the Right Seed.jpeg

One day when there were a bunch of birds all on the deck, and Smaug was busily chomping away in the orange tray, a couple of birds decided to dive-bomb him and flew right over his head while he continued to eat, impervious and oblivious......LOL! At some point one of them apparently got a little confused and wound up clutching the screen! I was at an awkward angle standing inside the house with the camera, but was able to grab a couple of shots before he freed himself and took off for safer, more familiar territory.

Screened.jpeg

One afternoon I decided to do a portrait shot of the Bazooka, but not the usual kind..... My primary interest was the big glass:

Reflections in Big Glass.jpeg

One day in particular was pretty lively on the deck, and I had fun watching the two squirrels chasing each other and the birds coming-and-going. At one point the squirrel I've nicknamed "Mr Nervous" because of his sometimes anxious behavior, decided to let Smaug have the first dibs at the sunflower seeds in the orange tray, but instead of leaving, Mr Nervous stuck around, impatiently waiting for Smaug to finish dining while he observed from the high vantage point of the top railing. I think actually he wasn't sure how to get back down safely! The RX10 and I caught him in a moment of anxiety as he contemplated his choices:

Apprehensive.jpeg

I really lucked out with the light that day, and with Mr Nervous on the railing for a sustained period of time. Peering down at the boardwalk, Mr Nervous clearly realized that it would be too risky to jump that far.....

Gosh, the Boardwalk is a Long Way Down.jpeg

Smaug just kept placidly munching away while up above him, Mr Nervous was clearly losing patience:

Losing Patience Here.jpeg

And to wrap things up, one of the partly cloudy/partly sunny-but-not-broiling-hot days was a good time to get outdoors and photograph the lovely Crepe Myrtle in bloom on the tree in front of our building:

Crepe Myrtle in Bloom.jpeg

Thank you, Urbanflyer! I was especially pleased when that one day the light was just right while Mr Nervous was up on the top railing -- made shooting the photos fun and with little need to do much in the way of editing afterward. I'm really getting a kick out of my little furry and feathered friends!

Thank you, Binnur! I was very surprised when the crow stayed on the railing and didn't fly off the minute I opened the door, so was happy to take advantage of that situation! Fortunately the camera was within reach and I was able to get shooting almost immediately before he did decide to leave. I've been having fun shooting the birds and the squirrels this summer!

Thank you, Terri! For a while I'd been wanting to shoot the Bazooka, but wasn't quite sure of the best approach, and then one day it struck me that the greatest appeal of that lens is of course the range of it and that big hunk of glass on the front. That is the heart and soul of that lens, so to speak, and that prompted me to start thinking of ways to shoot it.....

Week 34! Seems as though I did a lot of shooting this past week and in fact I still have images to edit....

We have a new visitor, perhaps permanent resident, in the lake now: a juvie cormorant! He first showed up a few days ago and he's still around, so I've been enjoying taking photos of him.

One of the first times I saw him I was lucky enough to be around with the camera when he caught himself some lunch:

Look, Mom, I Caught a Fish!.jpeg

It took him a little while to figure out the logistics of getting the fish at the right angle and position so he could swallow it, and what a big mouthful!

Now I've Just Gotta Swallow This Thing.jpeg

One day I had fun shooting the Black-eyed Susans that are near the sidewalk on the way to the kiosk where our mailboxes are:

Sunny Trio.jpeg

The cormorant discovered the submerged log that everybody seems to like, and has made it his favorite place to hang out and to dry his wings:

Cormorant Drying His Wings.jpeg

I did shoot other things besides the cormorant, though; today I was fooling around with photographing this interesting metal sculpture thingy that I've had for years, and gave a section of it the close-up treatment:

On the Curve.jpeg

One day I was able to go down to the boardwalk and shoot the cormorant from there rather than from up on my deck:

Headshot of Morrey.jpeg

While I was shooting the cormorant, I saw movement just beyond him, so held fire for a moment as the turtle climbed up on the log, too.....

Sharing the Log.jpeg

And now for something totally different! I looked out the window one day and saw something which made me chuckle. Somehow I just don't think of putting the word "thrifty" together with the Mercedes Benz brand of automobile! :D

Thrifty Mercedes?.jpeg

I was tickled when the cormorant spent some time swimming right in front of my deck, and then he went on towards the pier, suddenly ducking under the water. When he came back up he had the fish and I was able to get the shots of him with his prize and watch him gulp the thing down....

That Mercedes with the "Thrifty" tag really gave me a good giggle. It was parked right in front of my building, and when I looked out the window it caught my eye. Right away I knew I had to grab a camera and record that for posterity....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom