Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 ---- WEEK 52!!!!!!! This Project and Another Year Wrapped Up and Completed!

Week 18 rolling out...... Since I spent some time researching, purchasing and installing new hardware (modem and router) for my WiFi network this past week I didn't do a lot of shooting but what I did do reflects the
week's activities.

"What happened to the pretty flowers?"

What Happened to the Pretty Flowers?.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On the way to becoming a Bearded Iris:

Pointing Upward1.jpeg

Nearly there but not quite in bloom yet:

Nearly Ready to Open.jpeg

The Hosta leaves with their fascinating patterns are popping up everywhere, too:

Pointed Pattern.jpeg

And more green -- this time of a different sort:

Circling in Green.jpeg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Excellent images for the past two weeks, Connie! I'm just now getting around to seeing what you've done, and once again - great job!

Week 19 was filled with a variety of birds and blooms.....

Finally the Bearded Irises that I've been watching burst into full glory:

Bearded Iris in Bloom.jpeg

One afternoon a small bird joyously sang his or her heart out on the pier:

Singing on the Pier.jpeg

Making his way from the land to the water, a goose pauses to ponder his reflection in the lake:

Who's That in the Water?.jpeg

Down by the foot of the lake, Alfred stood on a rock shaking his wet feathers to dry them in the sun:

Giving His Feathers a Good Shake.jpeg

"The Beard" which gives the Bearded Iris its name:

Orange %22Beard%22 Sticking Out.jpeg

Thanks, Lyndee! I had been waiting and waiting for something to happen and FINALLY a couple of the irises bloomed but they were in an awkward place and didn't last long because bad weather nabbed them, so I waited some more and was rewarded by this beauty and her sisters surrounding her...... I love the brilliant orange "beard" but also am fascinated by the way these flowers are shaped, with multiple frilly heads and the beautiful white blossoms and those "beards"..... Across the lake there is a small group of them as well but so far they haven't yet bloomed; if I remember correctly they are a different color rather than the white with the orange.

Nice Iris shots, wonderful shot of Alfred doing his thing.

(Oops, I did it again. Typed the response and forgot to hit the "post reply" button.)

Thanks, Terri! It took a while for those Irises to finally bloom; I first noticed the buds and then every day would check and.....still in the budding stage. FINALLY, a week later there was some real action once the weather had warmed up and we had some consistent sunshine. Even at that there was an interruption again of yucky weather and so the Iris that is shown in my images is one which came along a few days after the first couple.....

I'm delighted at having "my" Alfred back in action but I am also definitely confused because the heron that I've been seeing on-and-off and occasionally shooting and referring to as Alfred these past several months has somewhat different markings and although the same size as Alfred, may or may not be another GBH...... Could be that Alfred was wearing a "winter coat," so to speak and has now molted and is back in his glorious normal one, or it could be that the heron in the mottled, different looking plumage is a juvenile or an immature and perhaps related to Alfred or perhaps not. ?? I need to do some checking in my bird books and on the internet!

Thanks, Klaus! I'm still enjoying this project, even though I had wondered whether or not I would burn out since I had just spent a year doing it in 2020, too, but so far there's always something new and interesting to shoot and that's what keeps me going! I especially like it when I see a bird doing something different rather than just swimming around in the lake or sitting on a branch. So far this spring I haven't seen any cormorants yet but I am hoping that one or more of them will show up again pretty soon, too.

Week 20!!!! This year is moving right along, isn't it?

This week seems to have been all about something new! Springtime itself brings out the new......

Finally I realized that what I was seeing perching on the pier chains is actually one of the swallows we have darting around here. It's new to see them actually pausing for a break and new to be able to capture one of them! I now realize that the one I showed earlier in this project -- last week -- is also a swallow......

Swallow on the Pier Chains.jpeg

Something else new: bought myself an iPhone 12 Pro! So the other day while at the grocery store I fired off a few shots of the flowers they had outside the store.

Pretty in Pink, standing out from the crowd:

Standing Out From the Crowd 1.jpeg

Passionately Purple Depths:

In the Depths of Purple.jpeg

Ah, but the newest thing we have in the neighborhood: Cicadas!! (Commonly called Seventeen-Year-Locusts since they emerge only every seventeen years.). Some of you will have seen Mike Buckley's excellent images. So the other day I was walking to the mailbox and idly thought, "gee, I haven't seen any Cicadas yet!" and darned near stepped on one on the sidewalk! They're....... HEEEEERRRREEEE!!!! So yesterday I went out with the camera in hand and got a few shots in the common grounds area of the community, where they're emerging all over the place.

The colorful guy on the left is pretty much ready to move on while his buddies are still struggling to extricate themselves from their exoskeletons:

New Cicadas Emerging.jpeg

This cicada, already fully emerged and acclimated to his new environment, wasted no time in looking for the nearest tree. His bright red eyes will help him find romance in the form of a female with whom to mate:

Climbing the Tree in Search of Romance.jpeg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Week 20!!!! This year is moving right along, isn't it?

This week seems to have been all about something new! Springtime itself brings out the new......

Finally I realized that what I was seeing perching on the pier chains is actually one of the swallows we have darting around here. It's new to see them actually pausing for a break and new to be able to capture one of them! I now realize that the one I showed earlier in this project -- last week -- is also a swallow......

View attachment 1684135

Something else new: bought myself an iPhone 12 Pro! So the other day while at the grocery store I fired off a few shots of the flowers they had outside the store.

Pretty in Pink, standing out from the crowd:

View attachment 1684136

Passionately Purple Depths:

View attachment 1684137

Ah, but the newest thing we have in the neighborhood: Cicadas!! (Commonly called Seventeen-Year-Locusts since they emerge only every seventeen years.). Some of you will have seen Mike Buckley's excellent images. So the other day I was walking to the mailbox and idly thought, "gee, I haven't seen any Cicadas yet!" and darned near stepped on one on the sidewalk! They're....... HEEEEERRRREEEE!!!! So yesterday I went out with the camera in hand and got a few shots in the common grounds area of the community, where they're emerging all over the place.

The colorful guy on the left is pretty much ready to move on while his buddies are still struggling to extricate themselves from their exoskeletons:

View attachment 1684138

This cicada, already fully emerged and acclimated to his new environment, wasted no time in looking for the nearest tree. His bright red eyes will help him find romance in the form of a female with whom to mate:

View attachment 1684139
Connie - very well done! The flowers are so vivid and colorful, the critters are nice and sharp and a really nice capture on the swallow. BIF (or anything in flight, for that matter) is my albatross, so I admire anyone who can capture something in flight!

Latest threads

Top Bottom