Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 -- Week 24

Thanks, Lyndee! Once in a while I luck out on getting a BIF, such as the two times I've managed to capture Alfred. Definitely it is a skill which requires time to develop! Inevitably I am not prepared when something comes soaring past or above me or I'm not prepared when they suddenly take off from the water or the place where they're perched or standing. I haven't seen any of the Cicadas in flight yet, surprisingly, but I'm sure that day will come.

Week 21 is here! This week is all about critters.......

Those Cicadas are everywhere! I was starting out for a walk on the boardwalk and spotted this guy making his way along a long slender reed:

Walking Down a Slender Reed.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As I continued walking, a loud buzzing voice begged, "please don't step on me!" (And I didn't.....just shot his photo and moved on.)

Hey, Please Don't Step on Me.jpeg

As I strolled on the boardwalk I was started to see lots and lots of fish (mostly catfish) swimming very close to the surface of the water, which is unusual, and the water was fairly clear thanks to a couple of recent storms we'd had the day and evening before. This sassy guy and I had an eye-eye interaction:

Whatcha Looking at?.jpeg

Some catfish can get pretty large -- wow! Meet Big Daddy, who smiled up at me as he swam along parallel to where I was walking:

Big Daddy Catfish.jpeg

Whew! Some of our neighbors with whom we share this lake aren't so pretty, are they? I was ready for some beauty by the time I got down to the foot of the lake, and thankfully, my lovely Alfred was there to show off his best side for me:

Alfred Pondering His Next Move.jpeg

Nice set, especially Alfred. Always enjoy seeing him. That's some decently clear water, nice captures of the fishes.

Week 22! I stuck close to home this past week (as usual)....but found plenty to shoot.

A walk along the boardwalk:

A Walk Along the Boardwalk.jpeg

A cozy corner of the neighborhood highlighted by bright hot-pink roses:

A Cozy Corner of the Neighborhood.jpg

Flowers, you say? This beauty and its relatives are hanging out in front of my building:

Rising From the Center.jpeg

Across the parking lot we have a nice wooded common grounds area, and what better place to check out a new lens and also to my delight, capture a sunstar?

Sun's Back After the Rain.jpg

....But wait! How could I possibly share photos from around the neighborhood and not include our resident star, our Alfred? One hot afternoon I looked out and to my surprise he was enjoying a nice cool shower while standing on the fountain!

Alfred Enjoying a Refreshing Shower.jpeg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Beautiful scenery and the first image is a nice tranquil spot where I know I could just sit and relax. Lovely photos! BTW - how's your weather. We're steaming out here which makes me not want to venture out!

Thanks, Lyndee! I love this area, this little community right on our small "lake," and there is always something new to see or to photograph.... Weather has not been very cooperative lately: hot, humid, overcast, cloudy..... Thankfully it has cooled down a bit now, but again there is a threat of thunderstorms this afternoon. Sigh..... I have yet to get out to the pool this season, which is unusual for me. One reason is that aside from the weather I developed some pain and redness along with sensitivity to light in my right eye, so saw the ophthalmologist on Thursday of last week and thankfully it was simply a matter of a couple of errant eyelashes on the lower lid growing inward instead of outward, and thus rubbing against the eye, causing irritation and eventually abrasions. She plucked them out and that took care of that. The ointment she gave me for the healing process has helped enormously and the eye feels so much better again. Only hitch is that it does cause blurriness, especially when first applied, but I'll happily put up with that for this relief! While I'm using the ointment I'm shooting only with my iPhone, as I don't want to get gooky ointment on my camera's eyecup or EVF. Kind of frustrating right now, though, with this new lens that I want to put through its paces -- hopefully this next week I'll be able to get back to it!

Last edited:
Week 23 is a sort of mixed bag....

In the beginning of the week I was still having fun with my new lens and decided to use it on the hydrangeas rather than reaching for the usual macro lens:

Hydrangea Bush in Bloom.jpeg

So another afternoon here I am out on the deck shooting something with my new wide-angle lens, and what do I see? A dragonfly on the railing! I decided to experiment with shooting him and checking out what kind of bokeh I'd get behind him.... Of course I should've run back into the house and swapped lenses, put the faithful 90mm macro on and taken advantage of this dragonfly being so close but the thought never occurred to me until after he had already flown off. Such is life....

Dragonfly Pays a Visit.jpeg

On Thursday I found myself in the exam room at the ophthalmologist's, and couldn't resist pulling out the iPhone and taking a couple of shots since the room was fully lit rather than being set to the usual dimness when someone is sitting there with freshly dilated eyes. Fascinating tools ophthalmologists use!

Ophthalmology Tools of the Trade.jpg

I find that the iPhone does a pretty good job when I want to fool around with shooting something abstract:

Linear and Curvy.jpeg

One evening earlier in the week I experimented with the new lens as darkness was falling around the lake:

Evening Falls on the Lake.jpeg

Thank you, Binnur! I am really looking forward to getting back to using my new wide-angle lens plus my other ones. Right now I'm not using my usual cameras because I don't want to get any of the prescription eye ointment I'm still using on either camera's eyecup or EVF, so am turning to the iPhone and and also the RX100 M7, not using a viewfinder at all. Frustrating, as I'm eager to take a walk all around the lake and the neighborhood plus go further afield and explore other places with the wide-angle lens.

Week 24 is here! Because I was still dealing with eye issues I didn't do a lot of shooting early in the week but after things significantly improved and I no longer needed to use ointment 3x a day, I was able to once again pick up my usual cameras and get back to playing with my new lens and trying to get the hang of landscape photography. I actually did a fair amount of shooting over the past couple of days but haven't finished the editing process yet, so am just going with what I've got in hand now....

In several places around the condo community we have the most gorgeous orange lilies, and since orange is my favorite color, I have enjoyed admiring them and photographing them:

Brilliant Orange Lilies.jpeg

These guys are just so perky and jaunty:

Jaunty.jpeg

One recent afternoon I spent some time walking around the entire lake and shooting. Condo buildings near the foot of the lake..... And look closely -- why, there's Alfred!

Condo Buildings and the Lake Complete With Alfred.jpeg

Another afternoon I was doing more of the same kind of shooting with the wide-angle lens and spotted Alfred again, and this time he was standing on the base of the fountain in the lake, which wasn't working due to the timer having been blitzed by recent storms. Perfect opportunity for a nice close shot -- but alas, that wasn't going to work with a 12-24mm lens!! I went home, swapped lenses, slipping on the 100-400mm and rushed back out to the boardwalk and thankfully he was still there, patiently waiting for me. Alfred surveys his domain:

Alfred the Great Commanding the Lake.jpeg

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Week 24 is here! Because I was still dealing with eye issues I didn't do a lot of shooting early in the week but after things significantly improved and I no longer needed to use ointment 3x a day, I was able to once again pick up my usual cameras and get back to playing with my new lens and trying to get the hang of landscape photography. I actually did a fair amount of shooting over the past couple of days but haven't finished the editing process yet, so am just going with what I've got in hand now....

In several places around the condo community we have the most gorgeous orange lilies, and since orange is my favorite color, I have enjoyed admiring them and photographing them:

View attachment 1685397

These guys are just so perky and jaunty:

View attachment 1685398

One recent afternoon I spent some time walking around the entire lake and shooting. Condo buildings near the foot of the lake..... And look closely -- why, there's Alfred!

View attachment 1685399

Another afternoon I was doing more of the same kind of shooting with the wide-angle lens and spotted Alfred again, and this time he was standing on the base of the fountain in the lake, which wasn't working due to the timer having been blitzed by recent storms. Perfect opportunity for a nice close shot -- but alas, that wasn't going to work with a 12-24mm lens!! I went home, swapped lenses, slipping on the 100-400mm and rushed back out to the boardwalk and thankfully he was still there, patiently waiting for me. Alfred surveys his domain:

View attachment 1685400
Hi Connie,
you're showing wonderful pictures again.
These lilies are growing in my garden too. But the colour is bright yellow.

Kind regards
Klaus

Thanks, Klaus! We have bright yellow lilies in front of my building, too, and earlier I did take some shots of them as well. So we share yellow lilies across the Big Pond.....! When I was walking around and saw the orange ones, though, ahhhhh.... my heart went pitty-pat, pitty-pat and I savored their rich orange color before taking a few shots of them. The lilies seem to be everywhere this spring and the wet weather we had earlier in the season has been great for flowers and foliage -- everything has been growing like crazy!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom