Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 --- WEEK 36

Week 24 is here! Because I was still dealing with eye issues I didn't do a lot of shooting early in the week but after things significantly improved and I no longer needed to use ointment 3x a day, I was able to once again pick up my usual cameras and get back to playing with my new lens and trying to get the hang of landscape photography. I actually did a fair amount of shooting over the past couple of days but haven't finished the editing process yet, so am just going with what I've got in hand now....

In several places around the condo community we have the most gorgeous orange lilies, and since orange is my favorite color, I have enjoyed admiring them and photographing them:

View attachment 1685397

These guys are just so perky and jaunty:

View attachment 1685398

One recent afternoon I spent some time walking around the entire lake and shooting. Condo buildings near the foot of the lake..... And look closely -- why, there's Alfred!

View attachment 1685399

Another afternoon I was doing more of the same kind of shooting with the wide-angle lens and spotted Alfred again, and this time he was standing on the base of the fountain in the lake, which wasn't working due to the timer having been blitzed by recent storms. Perfect opportunity for a nice close shot -- but alas, that wasn't going to work with a 12-24mm lens!! I went home, swapped lenses, slipping on the 100-400mm and rushed back out to the boardwalk and thankfully he was still there, patiently waiting for me. Alfred surveys his domain:

View attachment 1685400

Nice shots all - cool portrait of Alfred.

Week 25! Not a lot going on this week, but I did enjoy getting outdoors for the nice cool weather we had for a couple of days.

First up: for Lyndee, a hydrangea in full, glorious bloom:

View attachment 1685656

And for Klaus, one of the yellow flowers still holding forth in the front of my building, not too far away from the magnificent hydrangea bush:

View attachment 1685657

One day a turtle surprised me, swimming along in the messy, yucky water, right past my vantage point from my deck:

View attachment 1685658

No idea of what these intriguing white spiky balls are, but they're part of some sort of aquatic plant which is happily flourishing at the edge of the lake:

View attachment 1685659

Another mystery aquatic plant:

View attachment 1685660

And now for something entirely different -- a bonus image that reflects the direction my mind is taking right now:

View attachment 1685661

Pretty flowers. Cool catch on the turtle.

Thank you, Gordon! Glad you're enjoying my weekly images! I AM very fortunate in where I live since there is always something or someone to shoot -- a flower, a bush, a bird...... Living here has been a real blessing, especially during the worst of the pandemic and the shutdown and all that. I am so very appreciative of how I can step out my front door or out on my deck and there's often something new and delightful to capture with my camera. The deck also serves as an additional "studio" in which to try out some things as well.

A couple of months ago I finally got around to getting a wide-angle lens as well as a fisheye, both of which have filled in, added and expanded a whole range of possibilities for me, too, continuing to enhance pleasure in picking up the camera and going shooting, even if it is just around my own neighborhood and not in some exotic location. Right now it has been pretty hot and often very humid, which makes the heat feel worse, so during much of July I've resorted to hanging out around home (A/C = Bliss!) rather than venturing off into other locations to shoot. Adding in the problems with my eye in the early part of the summer and the more recent issues with my back which could've stalled my project, I am really happy that I've still been able to find something new and different to shoot without leaving my home or the immediate neighborhood. Looking forward to somewhat cooler weather arriving on the horizon eventually.....

We're at the halfway point!! Week 26!! This year is moving right along....

The theme of the week was definitely leaning in the direction of experimentation with subjects and also with post-processing. No flowers, no Alfred this time! Got a couple new things in the household, one of which was an instant prospective model the minute I laid eyes on it and the other was a somewhat different tool for adding more images to my ever-growing collection.....and I also pressed my deck into service as yet another "studio" for my experiments.

I've shared a few photos from the new lens in the Fisheye thread, but of course shot more than just those this past week! I am having fun with this lens and, as the saying goes, "we've only just begun....."

View attachment 1685971

View attachment 1685972

This gleaming, highly-polished and highly-reflective tool offered challenges in shooting it, so I set aside the new lens for a while and got out the RX10 to experiment with different perspectives, angles and focal lengths so that I wouldn't inadvertently include myself in the photos!

View attachment 1685975

View attachment 1685976

Some fun shots with the fisheye Connie, love the first tool shot, kinda abstracty.

Week 27 in the house!

The hydrangea bush has been simply incredible this spring/summer.....got another shot early in the week:

View attachment 1686283

Had a bit of fun with a very wide-angle (fisheye) lens, steps, reflections and B&W:

View attachment 1686285

After the B&W, time for a big dose of color again:

View attachment 1686286

More fun with distortion: taking a look at our swimming pool through fisheye-warped fence bars:

View attachment 1686287

Neat work with the fisheye. Something I never could get a handle on, but I struggle with regular wide-angle shots most of the time.

As always, enjoying your flower shots.

Week 28! A Pink Week..... As it happened, I shot lots of pink flowers this past week! Hot Pink blossoms bursting out all over the beautiful Crepe Myrtle tree in front of my building (and just outside my master bedroom window!) offered one kind of visual treat, and then all around the lake we've got pretty pastel pink and a few white aquatic flowers decorating the edge of the water. It's been a great spring and summer for flowers around here!

View attachment 1686585

View attachment 1686586

View attachment 1686590

View attachment 1686588

Week 29 doesn't offer a lot of variety because I've been having back problems and haven't gotten out anywhere interesting to shoot. Fortunately I can shoot right from my deck and capture the intriguing aquatic flowers (I think they're called Water Hibiscus). It's been hot and even the geese aren't hanging around too often these days!

View attachment 1686876

View attachment 1686877

View attachment 1686878

View attachment 1686879

One especially hot day this guy took shelter under the pier for a break from the unrelenting sun:

View attachment 1686880

Wonderful flower shots, cool duck silhouette.

Thank you, Gordon! Glad you're enjoying my weekly images! I AM very fortunate in where I live since there is always something or someone to shoot -- a flower, a bush, a bird...... Living here has been a real blessing, especially during the worst of the pandemic and the shutdown and all that. I am so very appreciative of how I can step out my front door or out on my deck and there's often something new and delightful to capture with my camera. The deck also serves as an additional "studio" in which to try out some things as well.

A couple of months ago I finally got around to getting a wide-angle lens as well as a fisheye, both of which have filled in, added and expanded a whole range of possibilities for me, too, continuing to enhance pleasure in picking up the camera and going shooting, even if it is just around my own neighborhood and not in some exotic location. Right now it has been pretty hot and often very humid, which makes the heat feel worse, so during much of July I've resorted to hanging out around home (A/C = Bliss!) rather than venturing off into other locations to shoot. Adding in the problems with my eye in the early part of the summer and the more recent issues with my back which could've stalled my project, I am really happy that I've still been able to find something new and different to shoot without leaving my home or the immediate neighborhood. Looking forward to somewhat cooler weather arriving on the horizon eventually.....

It is nice having things so close, especially with the past (future?) lockdowns and such. You're taking good advantage of that. The tree just outside my apartment had to be cut down as the roots destroyed the waterline to the building, so my bird photos are on hold as I don't have the ability to roam wilder areas right now.

Best wishes on a full and quick recovery for you.

Thanks, Gordon! I am very fortunate, yes, in being able to shoot such a variety of things right here in my own neighborhood. I hope we don't have any more lockdowns but there is always that possibility, isn't there, with this darned virus still running rampant. I empathize with you about having lost that tree due to roots damaging the water line to your building. One of the other buildings here in my complex has had that same issue, where the tree company and the water company had to come in and dig up the area, remove the tree and its roots and redo the main plumbing line for that building. It was a mess and very inconvenient for the residents! That is a major problem with lots of trees with deep, long and large roots and many of them being planted too close to some of the buildings. We also had a similar issue in a section of the parking lot as well, with tree roots getting tangled up with the water lines going out into the parking lot and the street, too. Part of the parking lot had to be dug up and redone, too.

Thanks for the good wishes. My back is feeling much better and I'm pretty much back to normal functioning again, which is a relief. It was frustrating there for a while, though!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I love the flowers that surround your home and the hibiscus are blooming nicely! Sorry to hear you're having back problems. How are you feeling today?

Finally finished processing some images I'd shot the other day as I wanted to include them in this week's group, so now we're ready to share Week 30!

I've done so many closeups of the Water Hibiscus, decided it was time for people to see them in situ:

On the Boardwalk not far from my building, looking towards the foot of the lake.....Flowers bordering the edge of the lake and adding beauty to the boardwalk! The birds like them, too:

Flowers on the Boardwalk....and a Bird.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking in the other direction towards the head of the lake:

Flowers Framing the Lake.jpeg

The next time I went out to shoot I had the longer lens on and was rewarded by the opportunity to shoot the swallows and get surprisingly close:

"Sure Looks Like It's Going to Rain!"

%22Sure Looks Like Rain to Me!%22.jpeg

Just like people, I guess birds can form cliques and leave someone out:

Three who seemed to be a close-knit gang plus an outlier.....

Three Chatting on the Rope.jpeg

Just can't get enough of these beautiful, intricate Blooms:

Pink Bloom in a Sea of Green.jpeg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
What beautiful photos for the 30th week! You really live in a lovely area, and that hibiscus; sooo pretty!

Week 31 seems to be all about flowers, especially the Hibiscus -- it's been a great spring and summer for these beauties!

Summertime Colors.jpeg

Hibiscus in All its Glory.jpeg

White Hibiscus.jpeg

Tired of Hibiscus? Time for a bit of perky, sunny cheery yellow delight!

Sunny Yellow Summertime Flowers.jpeg

Thank you, Gordon! Yeah, they're my favorites, too! Black-eyed Susans are what I think they are and what they're called -- they're smaller than Sunflowers but have that same delightful sunniness about them. They are surprisingly hardy, too, have been happily hanging in here around the neighborhood regardless of the weather, and we've had swings from heat to cooler weather, from torrential rain to one of those mild, all-day rainstorms and they've continued to share their wonderful color and shape through it all..... The Hibiscus are now starting to quietly fade away, their time to shine now having pretty much passed.

Thank you, Binnur! It is beastly hot here this week and I haven't gone out walking around much so am glad that I was able to get those other shots when I did. We had a vicious storm the other night with high winds and torrential rains that pretty much wiped out all the pretty hibiscus flowers growing at the water's edge.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom