Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 --- WEEK 36

Week 25! Not a lot going on this week, but I did enjoy getting outdoors for the nice cool weather we had for a couple of days.

First up: for Lyndee, a hydrangea in full, glorious bloom:

Hydrangea.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And for Klaus, one of the yellow flowers still holding forth in the front of my building, not too far away from the magnificent hydrangea bush:

Yellow Delight on a June Afternoon.jpeg

One day a turtle surprised me, swimming along in the messy, yucky water, right past my vantage point from my deck:

Turtle in the Messy Water.jpeg

No idea of what these intriguing white spiky balls are, but they're part of some sort of aquatic plant which is happily flourishing at the edge of the lake:

White Spiky Balls.jpg

Another mystery aquatic plant:

Tall Brown Aquatic Plant.jpeg

And now for something entirely different -- a bonus image that reflects the direction my mind is taking right now:

Ready for a Swim?.jpeg

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Week 25! Not a lot going on this week, but I did enjoy getting outdoors for the nice cool weather we had for a couple of days.

First up: for Lyndee, a hydrangea in full, glorious bloom:

View attachment 1685656

And for Klaus, one of the yellow flowers still holding forth in the front of my building, not too far away from the magnificent hydrangea bush:

View attachment 1685657

One day a turtle surprised me, swimming along in the messy, yucky water, right past my vantage point from my deck:

View attachment 1685658

No idea of what these intriguing white spiky balls are, but they're part of some sort of aquatic plant which is happily flourishing at the edge of the lake:

View attachment 1685659

Another mystery aquatic plant:

View attachment 1685660

And now for something entirely different -- a bonus image that reflects the direction my mind is taking right now:

View attachment 1685661
Thank you Connie.
You've captured this beautiful flower in a real great way.

Kind regards
Klaus

We're at the halfway point!! Week 26!! This year is moving right along....

The theme of the week was definitely leaning in the direction of experimentation with subjects and also with post-processing. No flowers, no Alfred this time! Got a couple new things in the household, one of which was an instant prospective model the minute I laid eyes on it and the other was a somewhat different tool for adding more images to my ever-growing collection.....and I also pressed my deck into service as yet another "studio" for my experiments.

I've shared a few photos from the new lens in the Fisheye thread, but of course shot more than just those this past week! I am having fun with this lens and, as the saying goes, "we've only just begun....."

Light Through the Vents.jpeg

Another Perspective.jpeg

This gleaming, highly-polished and highly-reflective tool offered challenges in shooting it, so I set aside the new lens for a while and got out the RX10 to experiment with different perspectives, angles and focal lengths so that I wouldn't inadvertently include myself in the photos!

Scooping Up the Light.jpg

Blue Skies Smiling at Me.jpeg

Last edited:
Week 27 in the house!

The hydrangea bush has been simply incredible this spring/summer.....got another shot early in the week:

Hydrangea Kissed by the Sun.jpeg

Had a bit of fun with a very wide-angle (fisheye) lens, steps, reflections and B&W:

Steps Everywhere (B&W).jpeg

After the B&W, time for a big dose of color again:

Brilliant Orange Tigerlily.jpeg

More fun with distortion: taking a look at our swimming pool through fisheye-warped fence bars:

DIstorted View of the Pool.jpeg

Week 28! A Pink Week..... As it happened, I shot lots of pink flowers this past week! Hot Pink blossoms bursting out all over the beautiful Crepe Myrtle tree in front of my building (and just outside my master bedroom window!) offered one kind of visual treat, and then all around the lake we've got pretty pastel pink and a few white aquatic flowers decorating the edge of the water. It's been a great spring and summer for flowers around here!

Shaded by Pink and Green.jpeg

Pink Celebration of Summer.jpeg

Aquatic Flowers.jpeg

Pink Ruffly Aquatic Flower.jpeg

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Oh my - your flowers are amazing! What gorgeous colors!

Now in Week 27, that second shot definitely has my attention. I love the BW treatments and the shooting perspective!!

Thanks, Lyndee! When I saw all the angles with the stairs then saw them reflected in the glass storm doors of the two units, I thought, "this one has to be in B&W!" and shot the photo knowing that I'd be converting to B&W. The extremely wide-angle of the fisheye lens adds a bit of extra oddity to the overall angular aspects, too. Obviously the landing of that building isn't curved the way the image makes it appear!

Yes, the flowers this year have been really wonderful, and I've been enjoying them as each new and different delight comes along.....

Thank you, Klaus! Yeah, when it came time to select the ones for sharing out of everything I'd shot this past week, it wasn't hard to immediately pull these four out of the crowd! :D. Of the four, my favorite is the third one, as I like the way the water and other stuff in the background created such a nice, soft and flattering bokeh for my subject.

Week 29 doesn't offer a lot of variety because I've been having back problems and haven't gotten out anywhere interesting to shoot. Fortunately I can shoot right from my deck and capture the intriguing aquatic flowers (I think they're called Water Hibiscus). It's been hot and even the geese aren't hanging around too often these days!

Reaching Out.jpeg

Pink Beauty With Little Friend.jpeg

Pink Bell-Shaped Blossom.jpeg

At Opposite Ends.jpeg

One especially hot day this guy took shelter under the pier for a break from the unrelenting sun:

Sheltering From the Sun.jpeg

Thank you, Binnur! The light in #3 was a combination of how the light was when I shot the photo and also a bit of slight underexposing in the editing stage to further bring out the flower and downplay the background..... Number 5 was a natural for silhouette the way the pier above him was protecting and shading the goose from the harsh, hot sun beating down as well as creating a natural frame for the overall image.

Thank you, Terri! Yes, it is much better this week and I'm more mobile again than I was for a few days there! Basically just overdid it one day when at the community swimming pool, as it had been a while since I'd swum, and I had a great time joyfully doing all the familiar strokes: breastroke, backstroke, butterfly, etc., etc...... Didn't notice any issues later that evening but a couple of days later when doing routine bedlinen changing and laundry I must've further irritated already-taxed muscles and about an hour two after that simply bent over to pick up something and -- whoa, wow!!! Back spasms started in, letting me know my back muscles were NOT happy. Took a while to ease up but now I'm definitely almost back to normal again, thank goodness.

Week 22! I stuck close to home this past week (as usual)....but found plenty to shoot.

A walk along the boardwalk:

View attachment 1684762

A cozy corner of the neighborhood highlighted by bright hot-pink roses:

View attachment 1684764

Flowers, you say? This beauty and its relatives are hanging out in front of my building:

View attachment 1684766

Across the parking lot we have a nice wooded common grounds area, and what better place to check out a new lens and also to my delight, capture a sunstar?

View attachment 1684768

....But wait! How could I possibly share photos from around the neighborhood and not include our resident star, our Alfred? One hot afternoon I looked out and to my surprise he was enjoying a nice cool shower while standing on the fountain!

View attachment 1684770

The boardwalk and grounds certainly give you plenty of opportunities - and you put them to good use. Nice sun star. Love the shot of Alfred in the fountain!

Week 23 is a sort of mixed bag....

In the beginning of the week I was still having fun with my new lens and decided to use it on the hydrangeas rather than reaching for the usual macro lens:

View attachment 1685113

So another afternoon here I am out on the deck shooting something with my new wide-angle lens, and what do I see? A dragonfly on the railing! I decided to experiment with shooting him and checking out what kind of bokeh I'd get behind him.... Of course I should've run back into the house and swapped lenses, put the faithful 90mm macro on and taken advantage of this dragonfly being so close but the thought never occurred to me until after he had already flown off. Such is life....

View attachment 1685114

On Thursday I found myself in the exam room at the ophthalmologist's, and couldn't resist pulling out the iPhone and taking a couple of shots since the room was fully lit rather than being set to the usual dimness when someone is sitting there with freshly dilated eyes. Fascinating tools ophthalmologists use!

View attachment 1685115

I find that the iPhone does a pretty good job when I want to fool around with shooting something abstract:

View attachment 1685116

One evening earlier in the week I experimented with the new lens as darkness was falling around the lake:

View attachment 1685117

Nice shot of the eye thingamajig (never can remember the name of that thing). :D

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom