Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 -- Week 41

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
The hibiscus is absolutely wonderful and the yellow black eyed susan photo is excellent. Well done, Connie!

Thanks, Lyndee! Well, that's going to be the last of the lovely Hibiscus for another year, sad to say. The other day we had a vicious storm which came through and between the high winds and the torrential rain pretty much demolished all of our wonderful blossoms so now the lakeshore looks simply green again, rather than pink, white and green...... Thankfully none of our trees were uprooted, although a few limbs and branches came down here-and-there around the neighborhood. Other neighborhoods weren't so lucky, with trees being downed and in one area, they also had rather large hailstones, too. That was a serious storm!

Surprisingly, the Black-eyed Susans are still hanging in there, not letting any old storm bother THEM.....

Week 32! Must've been "Closeups Week," since both Lyndee and I got up close and personal with our subjects. Hot, steamy, humid weather kept me indoors in nice cool A/C much of the week, so I experimented with what was around the house:

A Single Drop.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bullseye.jpeg

Shadows and Lines.jpeg

Colorful.jpeg

Here we are at the end of Week 33 already! Another hot and steamy one with quite a bit of rain as well, again keeping me indoors much of the time but nonetheless I found things to shoot....

Curls.jpeg

Circling in the Round.jpeg

Bluesy.jpeg

Bubbly.jpeg

.....and a bonus image this week! I looked out and to my surprise saw Morrey, the cormorant who had hung out here most of last summer and into the fall. He's BAAACK! Hurriedly grabbed a camera and rushed out to the deck to get a few shots of him and he obligingly posed for me:

Morrey Displaying His Wings.jpeg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Oh my goodness; the colors!! You certainly brought us a collection of goodies, Connie! They are all wonderful, but that one of the Slinky just rocks by boat - well done!

Thanks, Lyndee! Yeah, that one of the Slinky is my favorite, too..... I was still playing around with a new lens and seeing what it and I could do together, and again chose one of my favorite subjects, the same one which had wrapped up Week 32's images and as had happened earlier was once more surprised by the results. I love playing around with colors, light, shadows and reflections and seeing what can happen with whatever lens happens to be on the camera at the time. That said, my second favorite of this week's entries is the "bonus image" of Morrey, since that was an unexpected treat that happened today and I'm delighted to see him back at the lake again.

Week 34 is all wrapped up in orange.....my favorite color! I spent some time exploring the mysteries of orange lilies, celebrating their elegance and beauty. It was also a time for playing with a couple different lenses and....at the end of the week, a brand-new camera, too! :D

Good morning, Sunshine! I started the day out yesterday with this, taken because I liked how the early-morning sunshine was coming in through the kitchen windows and kissing this lily, which was in a vase on the counter:

Good Morning, Sunshine!.jpeg

Folding Inward.jpeg

Colors of Summer 2.jpeg

Private Parts of an Orange Lily.jpeg

Unfurling in the Morning Light.jpeg

A Slice of Orange.jpeg

Last edited:
Week 35 was a busy one with lots of shooting....our weather is finally getting cooler and less humid so one afternoon I went to a local botanical gardens, Green Spring Gardens, where I had a lovely time communing with the beautiful flowers they have there. This week's theme is mainly flowers, ah but there is a little bonus image tossed in at the end!

We've still got nice flowers right here in the neighborhood, too:

Bright Color Overlooking the Boardwalk.jpeg

There was loads of color over at Green Spring:

Orange in a Sea of Color.jpg

I haven't figured out what this prickly little guy is:

Prickly Ball.jpg

A staff member tending to the plantings near the gazebo at Green Spring:

Tending to the Flowers at Green Spring.jpeg

Occasionally I'd capture a little surprise visitor on a flower:

Flower With a Little Visitor.jpg

.....And it's bonus time! Yep, here's Alfred!!! I was surprised one afternoon to see him standing out on our pier, so grabbed the camera for some shooting. I noticed that he was doing something I'd seen last summer, too: he had his mouth open and his tongue was rapidly flipping up-and-down while his throat gently billowed in-and-out. Finally got around to looking up this behavior and found that it is called "gular fluttering," and it is the way he keeps himself cool on a hot day. Fascinating to watch!

Alfred %22Gular Fluttering%22 On a Hot Afternoon.jpeg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Looks like it was a great day to go to the gardens, and the flowers are lovely. I especially like how the separation between the flowers themselves and the background. And 'Hello', Alfred! :D

Very good use of DOF in the flower shots Connie. How about cropping from the top to eliminate the chain and from also the RHS a bit for a better composition in Alfred's photo?

.....And here's Alfred again! I was concerned that doing too drastic and tight a crop would affect the resolution of the image but it hasn't seemed to be an issue. I agree he looks a lot better without the extra chain over his head and the part of one at the bottom! Thank you, Binnur!

Alfred %22Gular Fluttering%22 On a Hot Afternoon [Rev].jpeg

Catching up again. Weeks 32-35, fun close-up work. Wonderful colors. Some neat abstracts. Always enjoy seeing Alfred, and now Morrey.

Thank you, Gordon! I've been having a lot of fun this spring and summer with the wildlife and also with doing macros/ closeups/tabletops indoors when the weather wasn't so cooperative.... Alfred is definitely still around so he is a permanent resident here but Morrey seems to come-and-go. There are other bodies of water plus a couple of really good wetlands areas not far from here where I'm sure he's been very happy, too. Now I'm trying to learn more about using tracking, as I haven't really done that in the past with any of the wildlife I've shot, and so am tinkering with camera settings, experimenting, tinkering again.....

Another week has passed -- summer is slowly slipping away as we head into autumn. However, Week 36 still has a summery feel with some things still blooming and the wildlife enjoying the lake:

This enterprising turtle found himself a new place to bask in the sun as the fountain sparkled and cast water nearby! He's on either a pipe that extends to the fountain or a limb that is partly submerged in the water:

Turtle Basking in the Sunshine Near the Fountain.jpeg

One day I liked the way the light was hitting this sunflower as it gazed out the kitchen window, so I grabbed the iPhone and fired away:

Sunflower Looking Out the Window.jpeg

I was walking on the pier and a couple of geese came swimming from underneath -- a great opportunity for a really closeup view!

Where Do I Go From Here?.jpeg

This lens is truly magical the way it renders colors, turning the mundane into something beautiful:

Green Buds Surrounded by Color.jpeg

Labor Day has passed and the end of the outdoor swimming pool season has passed as well.....soon the furniture will be put away and the pool covered with a protective tarp:

End of the Pool Season.jpeg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom